Photos Aeta Jungle trek - Philippines

D

Deleted member 15688

Tata (14).jpg

I was laying on a bamboo bed in the cool of the early morning jungle dawn. I wrapped myself in a bed sheet that I was using as a blanket and had my pack as a pillow. I’m not sure of the time but it was barely light when I saw my good friend Tata Kasoy enter the hut and make a "pire" for "Kopi" and to cook a few bananas for breakfast.

It had been raining all night, and I had barely slept. We had seen a Philippine cobra the day before during our hike and thoughts of it were still in my head. Also, the uncomfortable humidity and my wet clothing were all combining to make a comfy sleep impossible.

The previous morning My Adventure buddy Jungle Wil and I had met our Good friends Miguel and Tata at the trail head near Pamulaklakin. After exchanging gifts, and sharing a meal of coffee, sardines and rice cooked in bamboo, I realized that I had forgotten my Bolo knife in Cebu. I traded my mini mag flash light and 6 batteries to the lead forest ranger for an extra bolo of his. It is a cool looking knife and the sheath is made from PVC plastic heated and cut to shape then held together with screws.
Bamboo fire saw (1).jpg

After eating we made plans to go look for Tatas "broder" Antonio, at his jungle camp. We redistributed our loads, packed up then headed down the trail.
We hiked for several hours deep into Aeta territory. Once we entered the area of Antonios camp . Tata spied a faint trail leading off to the right and said "dis trail my broder", we followed it for a long while then tata began to shout in Aeta to his brother that we were in his territory.

After a search of about 10 minutes we managed to locate Antonio. He just materialized from the trees wearing black clothing and carrying an Escopeta brand .22 cal air rifle, he was also sporting the longest bolo knife I had ever seen. We were invited to his Jungle camp for More "Kopi" and BBQd bananas.

Antonio’s camp was pretty cool, it consisted of a hut made with a bamboo frame, covered by plastic and was basically 2 platforms. It had the classic Aeta star fire in the center, the star fire of the Aeta bears a lot of resemblance
61164_1590886063005_1582787_n.jpg
to the Apache Indian star fire. There wasnt much flame in the humidity of the jungle, but there was hear, and it was enough to cook bananas or a pot of rice. I liked it, and felt comfortable there. I would have enjoyed sleeping there for the evening if Tata and Miguel had not made other plans.

After swapping news with Antonio and having a bite to eat, we packed up, and headed out. Due to the amount of rain over the past few days, it was important to head up the trail and make a river crossing before the flow was too strong to do so. Our Aeta friends said "big water come"(heavy rain) several times so heeding their advice, we shouldered our packs moved out at a fast pace up the trail.
Pastalon Aeta negritos (55).jpg

The small stature of our Aeta friends belies their speed and agility in the forest, both Jungle wil and I keep in shape with regular running, and mountain biking, but on the jungle trail we had a difficult time keeping up with our guides. They walk fast but do not miss a single thing, like useful plants, animal tracks, or signs of non Aeta in the forest. There is a major problem with Illegal Logging on Aeta lands and these guys mount regular patrols into the jungle to protect their property.

We seemed to climb and climb as we headed deeper into the jungle I cannot recall a single level trail, it was difficult going due to the mud and heavy rain, upon reaching the river we made the crossing without problems but it was evident that the water strength was building and it would soon be impossible to cross.

miguel and the bamboo bow (1).png

After a hike of several more hours, we reached an area of the Aeta territory that was pretty far back in the woods, it was only about 4 pm but it was nearly dark under the jungle canopy. We set about constructing a jungle shelter and covered it with some blue tarps we had brought along.

Tata and Miguel strung their "Duyen", (hammocks as we call them) and set up their rain protection made from grain sacks sewn together. It was great to see the clever use of available materials. It is interesting to note that Miguel and Tata always wear the Head lamps we gave them even when it is not dark. I asked them about this practice, and was told it is so they are always ready. Sound logic.
Tata (16).jpg

It is a good thing they had those head lamps, because by the time we made camp, built a fire and settled in for the evening. it was full dark, even though it was only about 5 pm. We had a good evening, chatting and singing (oldies and filipino songs) away the hours. We dined on corned beef, boiled bananas, bamboo rice, "kopi" and Emperador brandy.

Jungle Wil and I had brought along a spice kit that contained tobasco, rock salt, garlic, and sugar. It was a big hit with out friends and so were the bags of my home made chewing tobacco I had brought along. Miguel rolled cigarettes, and smoked away the hours while Tata liked to chew. I chewed a bit of tobacco myself while sipping brandy.

It was an excellent to be back in the forest again with my 3 friends. I have always enjoyed their company. It occurred to me as we were sitting there eating , singing and smoking, that this scene, of people, deep in a forest, gathered around a small circle of light, must have been played out billions of time during the course of mans history.

Being in that location, with my 3 good friends is a memory I will always cherish and I am looking forward to being able to return to the jungle for more adventures.
12038196_10207370404076693_7382865888918700689_n.jpg

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
...as we were sitting there eating , singing and smoking, that this scene, of people, deep in a forest, gathered around a small circle of light, must have been played out billions of time during the course of mans history.
Goosebumps.

I got a question for you -- my fiancee and I want to go somewhere isolated in the Pacific for our honeymoon to camp, practice bushcraft, maybe do a little snorkeling. We were looking at Indonesia, but every island there seems to be owned by some eco-resort. Do you think we could arrive in the Philippines, slip some guy a hundred bucks, and have him show us to an isolated area and be our guide\boat captain for a week?
Sounds like a silly idea, but we've done it in the past; just not in Asia.
We're good at being responsible tourists.

D

Deleted member 15688

s
Goosebumps.

I got a question for you -- my fiancee and I want to go somewhere isolated in the Pacific for our honeymoon to camp, practice bushcraft, maybe do a little snorkeling. We were looking at Indonesia, but every island there seems to be owned by some eco-resort. Do you think we could arrive in the Philippines, slip some guy a hundred bucks, and have him show us to an isolated area and be our guide\boat captain for a week?
Sounds like a silly idea, but we've done it in the past; just not in Asia.
We're good at being responsible tourists.
sounds awesome. send me an email at pathfindertom@gmail and I will get you in touch with my fixer in Cebu. he can hook you up with anything. even swimming with whale sharks

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
moved to the travel stories area :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads