advice/tips totally appreciated

logisticsofbreath

Reaction score
Hey guys! My name's Tweak. Alright, so the deal is i was supposed to graduated back in June but i'm terrible at math so i'm stuck in a tech program all next year to make up the credit and graduate. But after i'm done with school i plan to leave and just travel the US. Most likely i'll save up enough money to get to Asheville, NC and the go on from there. Eventually ending up in California's bay area, hopefully. I don't have much any support from friends or family for what i'm doing. They all think i don't realize what i'm getting into, and they're wrong. I'm perfectly aware of how hard/unsafe/etc this can/will be. But i'm up for it. I've been planning this and wanting to do it since i was a kid.

But what i'd like to know is just does anybody have good tips/pointers/advice for when i leave? I've hitched once before just a town a few hours away, but nothing more than that. And i haven't train hopped yet. But those will be my main modes of transportation other than walking. I would just like to know what's worked for you guys and what hasn't, as i'll probably be heading out solo since none of my friends are interested in this lifestyle.

logisticsofbreath

Reaction score
Haha, yea, i've had that name for years now. Though i'm straightedge now, so no smoking for me. Though i think my biggest problem will be overcoming social anxiety/awkwardness and having more patience. A small part of why i'm doing this is to push myself to do things i don't normally believe in myself enough to do.

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Reactions: MxEx

logisticsofbreath

Reaction score
Am straightedge now. Deffinately wasn't always that way. But yea, that isn't how i got the name to begin with. 2 people ended up giving it to me without knowing i already had it. A friend started calling me it back in middle school because i knew more about drugs than her and then when i changed schools a few years ago a guy started calling me it because it was the title of the book i was reading the first time he talked to me.

hutchie

Reaction score
If you see a gas station that advertises cold 211 and 10 piece pigs feet meals you might be in a bad neighborhood (still as many nice people as fucked up though). Always look for broken glass and dirty rigs before you lay down to sleep. Find the library and the soup kitchens will follow. Never expect a handout and always appreciate it. Trust your instinct and use common sense. Be wary of everyone, nice to everyone and don't judge anyone until you hear them speak. There's a shitload more to know but that's the fun part, learning on your own.

julieg

Reaction score
i'm in the same boat darlin. i'm still stuck in school cuz i don't know what the fuck i want to be doing and my parents insist i finish something. i live in chicago and i want to travel, but i haven't got anyone who is in support of this, yet. i know they're here somewhere, hiding around the city, i just need to find them.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads