Advice for first time, cali, travel. | Squat the Planet

Advice for first time, cali, travel.

Wolf

Reaction score
Hope this is the right section, if not, yah know, move it.

Anyhow, I live in central california and I'm planning to take off for my first (well sorta) trip to nowhere land later this year. I'm heading north a little bit, then to vegas, then back to cali then up north. I'm taking, or should be taking, two friends with me. I am a non-convicted felon (meaning I have felony cases they chose not to bother me with). What I don't have this time around is my truck (note the felony) and I'm not sure if I'll be driving again by the time I leave. With that being said, is there any advice to share? Possible ways to get my hands on northern cali maps, what to look out for (I might need to be careful while the piglets can still throw me in when they opt), stuff like that. I'm Vegetarian, but my friends aren't if that's of any concern (I can cook with a lighter and on average don't take in more then 400-500 cals a day, I myself would do just fine on 200, don't ask me why I don't know).

Also, seems like a dumb question but I don't know, I have a hard guitar case, and a light one, I would assume the light one would be best, though it's crap protection. So, hard or light?

Note: I do know the basics of a few towns up north that I've lived in here and there, but other then modesto, byron, concord and sorta san fran (though I can see how walking across the river might be hard, need some jeez-its for that) I don't know shit about the towns.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
step 1(optional) get yer self a wal-mart road atlas......step 2..stick out jo thumb......but nah youll be ahhight.....if you got any money-makin or scavenger skills you'll stay fed(or learn said skills) guitar thing depends on what you feel like carryin....dont worry about knowin about the places yer goin...thats the fun of travelin is discovering and exploring new places....

Dameon

Reaction score
Heh, if you really think you're going to manage life on the road on 200 calories a day, you've got another thing coming. Walking 15 miles carrying a pack AND a guitar can build up an appetite.

If the guitar's a nice guitar, you might want to carry it in the hard case, but you're going to hate that hard case right quick. If it's a beater that you don't care about breaking, go with the soft case. If it's not a beater, you might just want to consider getting a cheap guitar rather than carrying a nice one, because eventually it'll get broken or stolen.

Personally, I hate central Cali. I'd head for the coast, myself. Vegas might be somewhere you want to avoid, if you're carrying a backpack. I've heard that cops are none too friendly there.

As far as your felony goes, if it's in California, you'll probably get picked up and extradited pretty quick if you're walking around with a pack on in California. You probably won't get extradited from outside California. The thing about traveling is that cops WILL run your ID; it happens all the time. Sometimes, they'll take any excuse to throw you in jail.

Wolf

Reaction score
Mmk, yeah it's a beater, pretty much already broken, still works but yeah. I have vegas on the list 'cause I know people around there.

Oi of course, silly piggies, oh well hopefully I'm driving around then.

Snipe Junkie

Reaction score
ive never done the hardshell case thing before but i would imagine it would a pain in the ass...even with a soft shell case, sometimes i feel like throwing my guitar off a bridge...never would of corse...then again, one time i was rolling into tuscon and had to drop my guitar off the train before i hopped off and when i finally gotinto town and pulled out my guitar to busk i saw that it was cracked all the way up the neck...i cant help but feel that that wouldn't have happened if i had a hardshell case.

...oh yeah, and as far as the cops go, if you are walking around with a pack and a guitar you ARE going to get your name run

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads