Admittedly unrealistic, but what’s the best (cheapest) way to get to the UK from America?

RalphMyers

Reaction score
I see a few problems.

The Ocean I have to traverse.

(legal method) The tens of thousands of dollars I would have to save for the visa. Not an option.

I’m American with an extremely Midwest accent and would stick out like a sore thumb.

is immigrating to the Uk without being loaded actually doable? I would probably receive no sympathy, and at best I’d be a football hooligan or something.

kitkat

Reaction score
Cheapest flights (when I flew) were newark to london heathrow. ~$600
How long do you wanna stay? You don't need a visa for up to 6 months usually, you're an american citizen
Then, you hop over to Europe and go around the schengen region for a few months. no borders. If you need to go for a quick visa run, hop over to morocco for a month or so.

• Agree
Reactions: superphoenix

Hobo richard

Reaction score
Well, i joined the Navy, went to England & Scotland... sorta the hard way...

Raggamuffin

Reaction score
Don't aspire to be a football hooligan - please - take it from a Brit, it's neither positive nor fashionable. Cargo ships / working vessels are a cheap way to travel over but you'd have to book way in advance, also not sure what new policies are about during this time... Check it out. Fully possible, England can be an unsympathetic place, as with anywhere, it completely depends on where you are but there's always gonna be good folk!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
so, your question is unclear for a few reasons. your thread title asks how to get to the uk from america for cheap, but your OP says you want to move there permanently? please clarify what your intentions are and i'll be able to provide a more accurate answer.

to answer your thread title, pretty much all options are going to be NYC to London. @kitkat mentioned $600, but that seems awfully expensive to me. pre-covid, i was seeing one way tickets for around $250-300, and as low as $175 if you really scour the travel deals websites.

(legal method) The tens of thousands of dollars I would have to save for the visa. Not an option.

im not sure where you're getting the 'tens of thousands of dollars' price point. i know plenty of people that have gotten visas in the UK for a fraction of that price, so im thinking you're just making assumptions here.

i would look into possible work or study visas, but since i don't know what your situation is i can't be more specific. give us more details and I might have some more ideas for you.

• Agree
Reactions: superphoenix
Reaction score
I see a few problems.

The Ocean I have to traverse.

I’m American with an extremely Midwest accent and would stick out like a sore thumb.

is immigrating to the Uk without being loaded actually doable? I would probably receive no sympathy, and at best I’d be a football hooligan or something.
You into sofa surfing? Cheapest way to travel!

bote

Reaction score
I took a freight ship once, cost me nothing, they even fed me. Right now though I don't think is feasible, still if you live near a port go see the port authority and ask, it can't hurt and it can happen if you're persistent and lucky.
Efficiency-wise, just find a low cost flight.

Reactions: JackSquat

RalphMyers

Reaction score
so, your question is unclear for a few reasons. your thread title asks how to get to the uk from america for cheap, but your OP says you want to move there permanently? please clarify what your intentions are and i'll be able to provide a more accurate answer.

to answer your thread title, pretty much all options are going to be NYC to London. @kitkat mentioned $600, but that seems awfully expensive to me. pre-covid, i was seeing one way tickets for around $250-300, and as low as $175 if you really scour the travel deals websites.

im not sure where you're getting the 'tens of thousands of dollars' price point. i know plenty of people that have gotten visas in the UK for a fraction of that price, so im thinking you're just making assumptions here.

i would look into possible work or study visas, but since i don't know what your situation is i can't be more specific. give us more details and I might have some more ideas for you.
I’ve done more research and can finally respond with “Europe in general” is where my optimistic destination would be. I’ll have 700 to work with by the end of the week budget wise.

Chonkthebonk

Reaction score
So it's actually expensive as fuck going by cargo ship, and working your passage is impossible these days with regulations etc. Your two choices are to fly or to take a cruise, I mean I guess you could sail but that's not easy unless you are good on a boat.
However, I cruised from Spain to New York because it was cheaper than a plane something like £400 and had all food and drink included for 14 days.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads