Adding buy/sell/trade thread prefixes to travel gear forum (1 Viewer)

Bushpig

Wanderer
We've resurrected this thread and repurposed it to discuss a slightly different idea from the OP below due to a suggestion from @croc in this post, so you should follow the discussion from there. --@Matt Derrick

I see that there used to be a "Black Market" here. It seems like this would be a good sub-forum here. Perhaps people abused it? I haven't been a member long enough to say for sure. But there's currently a thread offering free tarps that could really help people, but may not be seen.

It's there any way we could make a marketplace (or even better, a section for giving shit away)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Bushpig

Wanderer
I see. Understandable. But if it doesn't hurt, I don't see any harm in it being there when needed. Was it a sub-forum? If not, I can see it making more sense there. I have a bunch of shit I'd give away to anyone who can meet me in Indianapolis right now, but no decent place to post it. I won't be mad if Matt says no, but it'd be cool if he said yes.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Website
instagram.com
I believe it was a main forum, if memory serves correctly it was right above staying healthy. But this was a long time ago before things were re-categorized into what they are now, this was like 10 years ago (or however old my account is) even when I remember it from

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I see. Understandable. But if it doesn't hurt, I don't see any harm in it being there when needed. Was it a sub-forum? If not, I can see it making more sense there. I have a bunch of shit I'd give away to anyone who can meet me in Indianapolis right now, but no decent place to post it. I won't be mad if Matt says no, but it'd be cool if he said yes.

what kind of items are they? if it's travel gear, maybe you could post i in the travel gear section? or if nothing else, you can post it in the general banter :)

Bushpig

Wanderer
what kind of items are they? if it's travel gear, maybe you could post i in the travel gear section? or if nothing else, you can post it in the general banter :)
Lol. Deflected!
I have a large ALICE pack with no straps or frame, and plenty of books, movies, music, bunch of clothes (mostly band shirts), etc. But unless someone wants to meet me tomorrow, probably won't happen.

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Logistically think of it this way, this forum doesn't have a large enough following, or members online at the same from the same town to even consider looking on here for things like free tarps, packs with no straps, half bag of dog food, an old tire, bottle full of bic lighter clips, a 2006 copy of "From Birmingham to Wendover", etc. Anyone who is so truly downtrodden that they're trying to get meager subsistent resources from a forum about alternative travel probably don't even have the wherewithal to keep their cell phone or laptop charged, let alone own one.

Edit: not putting down the truly downtrodden and homeless, but a lot of items you'd typically find in a free box or whatever you can find within a one mile radius of any urban center while your traveling and/or sleeping outside.

Look up there! It's a sleeping bag stuck in a tree!

Bushpig

Wanderer
A bunch of stuff that Brodiesel said that I replaced with a lame sentence.
Great points, sir. As much as I thought a section for this kind of content makes sense, your reply makes more sense. Perspective. I didn't have it. Thanks.
Goddamn. That sounds kinda sarcastic!

You can close or delete this, Matt.

MFB

Wise Sage
Anything Ive ever wanted to get rid of Ive put on craigslists 'free' section and its been gone in 5 minutes. People love free.
Or ill jus leave it at the door of a food bank. I hate throwing stuff away

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
Great points, sir. As much as I thought a section for this kind of content makes sense, your reply makes more sense. Perspective. I didn't have it. Thanks.
Goddamn. That sounds kinda sarcastic!

You can close or delete this, Matt.

Well in your favor I still think it's a great idea.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
yes, and on a similar subject i would like to point out that one long term plan we've always wanted to implement was a low-key gear collection, and re-distribution project. basically we collect donations of sleeping bags and other travel gear and send them out to people that end up 'gearless and fearless' in their travels. i haven't gotten to the point where i can settle down enough to collect said materials but someday maybe we'll work something out, i think it would be a cool thing to do.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
You should set up a trading post/drop in center IRL somewhere

that's the theory behind this project here:

although it's taken more to the idea of a punk rock rv park than a social community center for a lot of logistical reasons.

croc

Wise Sage
Matt, idk if I should start a new thread for this but uh idk here's a comment about it:
What if instead of the whole black market section there was just a thread prefix in the gear section or general banter "gear offered" that kinda deal

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Matt, idk if I should start a new thread for this but uh idk here's a comment about it:
What if instead of the whole black market section there was just a thread prefix in the gear section or general banter "gear offered" that kinda deal

that's a pretty good idea, i could make up some thread prefixes so people can tag their thread 'giveaway' 'for sale' etc and maybe a 'question' one for gear questions just to differentiate it from the others.

i'm gonna tag this as a suggestion and put it on my to-do list.

1CannaBliss3

Lurker
A selling sub! Great idea all about it. Maybe open it up more so it's more than camping gear & tools being offered. But keep it moderated in a tasteful manner. You know so people can't sell people & other weird stuff.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Apologies for taking so long to get this done, I'm working through a fairly large list of StP-related things that need to be done.

Screenshot (20).png

I've added five thread prefixes to the travel gear forum and all it's sub-forums. Feel free to mix and match any number of these depending on what you're posting. As always, if you have any issues/questions/suggestions, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.