News & Blogs - Acola - one dead, 2 injured - gathering shut down | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Acola - one dead, 2 injured - gathering shut down

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Acola or Ocola - been seeing both tossed out there. Been snooping on this one for a while today trying to find something that substantiates it other than a lot of entries on a closed group on face book. This is also on FB.

Dice is responsive but paralyzed, they're calling it permanent . This is bullshit, no guns in church!

http://m.apalachtimes.com/news/law-enforcement/shooting-at-wright-lake-rainbow-gathering-1.446490

One man dead, two injured, in Wright Lake shooting
By DAVID ADLERSTEIN
Published: Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 13:03 PM.

One man is dead, and two are at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital in critical condition, following an early morning shooting at Wright Lake where a Rainbow Gathering is being held.

Capt. Chester Creamer, with the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, confirmed the shooting occurred sometime before 2:30 a.m. this morning, when the call came in to the sheriff’s office. Officers arrived on the scene at about 3:09 a.m.

Creamer said the incident at the end of Wright Lake Road is believed to have taken place around a campfire, and that alcohol was a factor. He declined to release any names because all the families have not yet been notified,

“These folks don’t have a lot of documentation on them,” he said. “We have to do a lot of legwork on that.

“None of them were locals. Period,” he said.

Creamer said alcohol was a factor in the shooting. He confirmed that a white male was dead from gunshot wounds, and that another had sustained multiple life-threatening bullet wounds, The shooter had been beaten and stabbed by some within the Rainbow gathering, and was detained until police arrived, Creamer said.

Because the incident occurred on federal land in the Apalachicola National Forest, near a boat landing on the river, the sheriff’s office is being assisted by law enforcement officers with the U.S. Forest Service. In addition the mobile crime lab from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement assisted.

Alan Smith, deputy district ranger for the Apalachicola National Forest, said the incident took place about a half-mile west of the developed campground, which remains open.

Wright Lake is about two miles south of Sumatra.

The Rainbow Gathering has been taking place there since last weekend. Rainbow Gatherings are annual meetings of the Rainbow Family of the Living Light, a loosely defined collection of people associated with hippie culture.

The original Rainbow Gathering was in 1972, and has been replicated throughout the year, in regional gatherings, often in national forests.

Susan Blake, a spokesperson with the U.S. Forest Service, said the Rainbow group has a permit to gather on the site. She said it was not yet clear whether a violation of the terms of that permit would result in the gathering being closed down by forestry officials.

• Useful
Reactions: Kal

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
Well, that pretty much seals it for me. I went to ocala a few years ago and some dude got stabbed and had to be taken out by ambulance, lots of other people had their bones broken from stupid ass fights and the whole damn thing was really just full of hate and snide elitism.
It's really sad, something that should be so amazing and beautiful is just now an excuse for drunken fucktards to party, fight, and fuck. Makes me sad.
I wonder if the gatherings out west are any better?

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Tude

Reaction score
Yeah this is sad - I'm learning the lingo here and I understand there are different groups/different gatherings, don't understand the "family" - never been to one of these but have been to several other venues where violence erupted and things changed the next year - and some events were even canceled do to some tragic events.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
does anyone have any ideas as to how/why these things are getting so violent now as opposed to the past?

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
does anyone have any ideas as to how/why these things are getting so violent now as opposed to the past?
When in doubt....

BLAME THE OOGLES! :p

Tude

Reaction score
@Matt Derrick -- various responses - stuff about vid taping on phone, phone tossed on fire after saying no and then hell broke loose. I used to bartend some rough biker bars and handled them well even after fights ensued but the best one after a guy grabbed an empty vodka bottle (ha changed that policy) by the bathroom and stabbed a guy in the head --- explanation of WTF is going on ... <put on your 3 yr old cap> HE WAS STARING AT ME. Response, NO I WASN'T I WAS STARING AT THE WALL BEAM BEHIND HIM. Doesn't take much to fuel the fire and drugs/alcohol doesn't help.

East

Reaction score
Alcohol tends to make most people kind of insane and irrational, myself included. Stay away from it these days (got boring anyway), but yeah, usually when you hear about crazy stuff going down like this people are almost always highly intoxicated on something. It's unfortunate. I wonder if there's any big gatherings left where this kind of stuff isn't a regular thing.

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
@East, I doubt it man. I feel like Rainbowland has just become Party in the wooooodzzzz.
I feel like maybe out west it could be better but still, just alot of fuckery abound. So much for praying for peace.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
@CelticWanderer out west
Is not any better it's the same everywhere.

Why would you think things out west would be better? People are people everywhere...especially amongst THAT crowd
Shit I dunno, I've spent pretty much zero time out on the west coast. I"ve been east for pretty much my whole life, not really ever getting past oklahoma save for a summer trip to cali.
So the west is kinda like this mystical wonderland xD Also I guess just being hopeful that it doesnt suck everywhere cause I love the concept of rainbow gatherings.

technotrash

Reaction score

i've never been to rainbow, but i have a lot of friends who have. One such friend told me that "undesirable elements" (sorry that's a loaded term but my language isn't always the best) were being directed to rainbow by federal and state law enforcement. Basically, after letting folks out of jail they're told to go hook up with rainbow because they'll keep them fed and stuff. they might also do this at shelters.

again, this is hearsay as it pertains to rainbow, but i was witness to law enforcement using this same tactic to sow internal conflict among Occupy camps.
again, not a rumour. I saw the corrections bus pull up and drop people off, still wearing their jail shoes, in the middle of a snowstorm when media was markedly absent.
(this is the only article i could find, and it's about NYC denying it happened, but i SAW the corrections bus pull up WITH MY OWN EYES. http://www.salon.com/2011/10/31/city_denies_dumping_ex_cons_at_zuccotti_park/)

It's no secret that Rainbow and other such groups tend to make the feds a little nervous. this is a very effective, insidious, and LEGAL tactic that also happens to have low visibility/PR cost.

i don't have a suggestion for fixing it, just wanted to share this info.

Kal

Reaction score
No rainbow gatherings for me sounds like a bunch of crazy people.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yea just speculation... if true... sounds like high level social engineering to me.
I'm just a cog though.

technotrash

Reaction score
honestly it might just be florida.
there's something weird about florida.

technically speaking though, it's not speculation, it's hearsay because my friend told me this is definitely happening and he spoke to people sent there by authorities, but i'm a secondary source at best so...

Last edited:
Reactions: East

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads