Hey guys, Nikon Kidd here trying to be the next great vagabond photographer

Sheeves

Reaction score
Somebody needs to preserve the culture and it might as well be me. I've been traveling homeless for a little less than a year now. I started in a van and ended up hitchhiking. Now I've just hopped my first freight train (WITH A TON OF CAREFUL PREPARATION) and I just fucking love it. Anyway I'm looking for interesting subjects. Maybe a road dog. Who knows? I get around a lot. If you want your picture taken along with a short little story, let me know and I'll do it!

Check out my work at www.facebook.com/thenikonkidd if you want. I'll post some of the better pictures here as well

Kal

Reaction score
You are only homeless if you think you are homeless it's a frame of mind. A lot of people think I'm homeless and I keep telling them the road and the world is my home is my home, so travel on and be free.

Reactions: Tude and East

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i like the idea of what you're trying to do, but id seriously consider changing the name.

Kal

Reaction score
Just checked you out on facebook cool.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hmmm... Why do you say that? I'm kinda liked it actually. You know sort of following in the footsteps of Mike Brodie "Polaroid Kidd" and the "Kodak Kidd". I

exactly... it's better to differentiate yourself from Mike Brodie than to seem like you're just copying him. trust me, there's a lot of people that don't like that guy, and truth be told if you google a bit you'll see that he never really did much more than stick his toe in the culture and now doesn't really seem to want to be associated with it.

Reactions: sandpaper cowboy

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
despite the name i also think your pics are rad and liked your FB page :)

Sheeves

Reaction score
despite the name i also think your pics are rad and liked your FB page :)

Thank you very much! It looks like he didn't have permission from all his subjects before publishing either, which isn't cool. I think I'm just going to take my chances with the name and let people think whatever they want. It's too much work to change it at this point.

Lots of people are naturally opposed to having photos of the culture already. I'm going to be doing my goddamn best to represent everyone fairly and I'm still going to get a lot of hate from inside and outside the community. It's just something I'm prepared to deal with

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Cool pics @Sheeves and welcome to stp btw. @Kal - your'e totally lovable. :) and spot on with your input.

Reactions: Kal

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
@Sheeves dude, also there is no point in going out and doing exactly what people have already done. Not only are you creating something that's already out there, your also not contributing anything new to humanity as a whole; and as an artist that's kind of what its all about.
I'd try to find a unique angle which hasn't been done before and approach it from there. As an artist you need to stand out at least a little, otherwise you wont have much of an audience.

And I gotta agree with @Matt Derrick on the name. The first thing I thought when I saw that was copycat. Your not doing yourself any favours if people think of other people instead of you.

Sip

Reaction score
yeah, part of this culture you want to photograph is about always going for the next biggest adventures. If you're willing to Follow in ANYONES footsteps, then you are missing a piece of the puzzle. Plus, people in this culture, at least around here, seem to be tired of having their picture taken, IMO.

That being said, I'll go check out your photographs. :p

Sheeves

Reaction score
@Sheeves dude, also there is no point in going out and doing exactly what people have already done. Not only are you creating something that's already out there, your also not contributing anything new to humanity as a whole; and as an artist that's kind of what its all about.
I'd try to find a unique angle which hasn't been done before and approach it from there. As an artist you need to stand out at least a little, otherwise you wont have much of an audience.

And I gotta agree with @Matt Derrick on the name. The first thing I thought when I saw that was copycat. Your not doing yourself any favours if people think of other people instead of you.

I love your videos man and I accept your criticism, but I believe I'm onto something unique and I'm going to let it develop. Mike Brodie did his thing and I like his photos, but I'm not trying to recreate those moments. I've got an angle and you'll probably start to see it in a few months. I'm just getting the name out there right now.

Reactions: wizehop
K

Kim Chee

nice pics. I see you got a picture of Abby the Spoon Lady, she rocks.

For those who dunno:

When you vagabond, take your camera with you like you almost forgot it. The more you pay attention to your camera, the more in focus your subject, the more vagabond reality will elude you.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I think I'm just going to take my chances with the name and let people think whatever they want. It's too much work to change it at this point.

is it really? cause i run a FB page for StP, and I know they'll let you change the url, but only once. It'll take you like 5 mins. I hate to get all 'corporate' but branding is important. Think about it a while and I'm sure a good name will come to you.

By the way, I'm not discouraging you, quite the opposite, I think you should keep on rockin', but the name change is my honest opinion. Ask a few of your friends IRL and see what they think.

Reactions: Sheeves

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads