1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

A possible way to make a large, quick profit from Burning Man attendees

Discussion in 'Making A Living' started by germanbini, Jul 16, 2017.

1. germanbini

germanbini Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Centerville, Iowa, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +73 / -0
    The giant Burning Man festival is coming up (August 27 - September 4, 2017) in Nevada, and people are paying BIG bucks for tickets - from $425 up to $1200! Unfortunately for some of the attendees, the festival does NOT allow dogs.

Some dog owners might prefer to have their dog boarded nearby so they can check up and visit with them more frequently, or maybe they live in their vehicle and have nowhere to leave their dog.

There look to be several free dispersed campsites and BLM land locations available nearby. Someone who has a way to set up runs, fencing, or kennels there might have a potential to make some quick, good money by taking care of a few dogs for a week or so (the festival lasts for 9 days). "Common pricing for overnight boarding in a kennel is $25-$45 per night" - per Google search. Even just three dogs for 10 nights would rack up $750 at the minimum rate, and I imagine you could charge more.

Someone could stake out a site, and perhaps post ads on Craigslist and on Burning Man forums, etc.

I am in Iowa and have no idea if I could make it out that far west by then, but I think it seems like a pretty good idea for making some money. :)

• Epic Epic x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. p h o b o s

p h o b o s is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    grunt and artist
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    this is brilliant... and who doesn't want to get paid to hang out with pups? :D

• Like Like x 3
  3. Notmyname

Notmyname Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +292 / -3
    Love this idea. Fucking brilliant. If I make it that far south in time I'm willing to make it happen.

4. strangeandsolo

strangeandsolo Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    rambling tech
    Address:
    Casa Grande, AZ, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +21 / -0
    worked at a kennel here for a few years. if you had materials for runs and yards it could be done. however the logistics of it are kinda staggering, shelter (more then just crates) water, food, meds, and security (yards with in yards) flat out all the dogs gotta be kept separate unless they come in together and the vacinations rabies dapp and bordetalla are a must! rabies has to be done by a vet the other two can be sub q or nasal mist. done by owners or kennel staff but yeah kennels make a killing, we charged 15.00-18.00 a night but had a full on facility on 7 acres check them out at-home-kennels.com its in tucson (shameless plug cause i love the owner and head mngr)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grubblin

Grubblin Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +287 / -4
    It's not a pretty good idea for making money, it's the best idea I've heard on here! Nothing illegal but very inventive. You have to hustle to get what you want out of this life and it sounds like you've got it down. You may be new to this site, maybe new to the life, idk, but well done whatever your status.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. SlankyLanky

SlankyLanky Previously cantcureherpes
    Staff Member Chat Moderator

Achievements:
    floor sweeper and tube scrubber
    Address:
    Richmond, VA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,623 / -45
    as fun of a idea as this sounds like @strangeandsolo said the logistics of taking care of half a dozen or more dogs who dont know you, or each other for around a week is going to be pretty tough. just having a backyard wouldnt be nearly enough since putting that number of dogs from who have owners who have given them drastically different lives could potentially turn ugly. everyone likes to think their dog is a sweetheart and wouldnt hurt a soul but some dogs just look at each other and dont like each other. aside from keeping them in kennels most of the day and having different "yard time" for each pup its not as easy as youd think to take care of multiple peoples dogs at the same time. you dont know the dog, and the dog doesnt know you, alot of dogs arnt used to people other then their owners giving them commands and knowing that sit means sit and come means come here now. alot of dogs get very nervous when away from their owners especially if they are used to being with them nearly 24/7 and will start to act erratically, they will piss and shit in their kennel, whimper non stop, bark at the other dogs and you and possibly become aggressive. im not saying you couldnt make a few bucks doing this, but youd basically have to be running a in home dog shelter/kennel to begin with in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    germanbini

germanbini Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Centerville, Iowa, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +73 / -0
    You guys might be right, I agree a lot of work and logistically difficult.

I guess I wasn't thinking "kennel" so much as clothesline tied between trees or posts, to give each dog their own "run." And even if you only took care of two or three, it would be some money.

And if someone can't get it all together this year, there's always another one! :)