A place to lay low when the going gets tough.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Fort Collins
Reactions
96% 4% 0%
Hey didn't know where else to post this. There is a Buddhist retreat center in Red Feather Lakes called Shambhala Mountain Center, that takes volunteers during the spring to fall months. In exchange for volunteering you receive 3 meals a day, as much as you can eat, decent lodging, and 3 optional opportunities a day to meditate. It's also way up in the Rocky Mountain Natl Forest, so opportunities for hiking, and exploration abound.
It's a place I've returned to, for a few weeks at a time throughout the years, whenever SHTF. They cater to all diet types, including meat eaters, work load is never more than 30 hrs a week, and because Shambhala Buddhism is basically secular no one is trying to push any beliefs on you, or make you wear robes, and shave your head. You'll meet folks from all over the world, and all different walks of life. There are AA, and NA groups, as well as yoga, martial arts etc. Smoking, and drinking are allowed in designated areas. Work opportunities range from gardening, land maintenance, carpentry, general repair, to house keeping in the lodge. They have paid, and volunteer positions. They will basically take on anybody in any department as a volunteer, so don't worry if you lack skills in a certain area. There is really no minimum time commitment.

The founder was a Tibetan refugee monk, who escaped the Chinese invasion under pursuit, and gunfire, while fighting starvation by eating his leather belt, as he passed over the Himalayas into India, only later to die from the serious alcoholism, and regular cocaine use that he picked up later on in the US.... So if you're looking for a good opportunity to get out of where you are, or need a place to regain your strength, and get your head together check it out. The website ( shambhalamountain.org ) The founder if you want to wiki (Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche) Below are some pics of the founder.
trungpa-2-jpg.42410_A place to lay low when the going gets tough._Alternative Housing_Squat the Planet_9:46 AM
trungpa-jpg.42411_A place to lay low when the going gets tough._Alternative Housing_Squat the Planet_9:46 AM

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Collins, Georgia
Reactions
83% 0% 17%
This actually sounds really interesting. I think I will go check it out when I make it out that way. Thank you for sharing

Dameon

Vagabond
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Northern California
Reactions
96% 0% 3%
There's a similar setup close to where I live, out on the northern California coast. Never tried it out, but the location is pretty unbeatable, and they actually pay you a stipend as well as room and board.
http://volunteer.ratnaling.org/

roughdraft

Vagabond
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Qosqo, Peru
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
bro that is fuckin Wild...especially the photos of this man

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
that takes volunteers during the spring to fall months. In exchange for volunteering you receive 3 meals a day, as much as you can eat, decent lodging, and 3 optional opportunities a day to meditate.

wow that sounds like a good deal

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Hobart TAS 7000, Australia
Reactions
96% 2% 2%
from what i remember, chogyam trungpa taught ginsberg, kerouac AND was a major pisshead who actually died from being a major pisshead!Liver failure i think. . . .

OP
OP
EatMoreRoadKIll
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Fort Collins
Reactions
96% 4% 0%
from what i remember, chogyam trungpa taught ginsberg, kerouac AND was a major pisshead who actually died from being a major pisshead!Liver failure i think. . . .
As a matter of fact they recently constructed a small monument to Ginsberg here on the land.

NotmybestNotmyworst

Wanderer
StP Supporter
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Thats awesome. I totally want to go there some day. I know ill need it. This is the border of Colorado and Wyoming correct? I also want to see yellowstone. I drove through the corner of it going from cali back to tbay but never really stayed. Thanks for the journey ideas.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Owasso, United States
Website
www.vilecultofshapes.blogspot.com
Reactions
94% 0% 6%
Definitely wanna come through here later in the year, maybe early next year depending on how shit goes. I'm a practicing Buddhist, but I've always been afraid to approach most Buddhist lodges and temples. This place sounds more like my speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

I'm afraid of America. I'm afraid of the world. I'm afraid i can't help it.
yearlong goals: finish remodeling house, wilderness firefighting, sail, bike tour. get @ me if you know about any of these/wanna swap stories/want some info.
Leo
Taking a break in Talkeetna while figuring things out.
haida Gwaii living summer 2018
Odin wrote on Geraldo's profile.
Everyone gets like this at this time of the Year... :( Destroyer of Worlds. Don't cha worry. I suggest doing some jumping jacks in the Snow then some Karate Kicks. Get the blood n bodily humors flowing! >.>
When a married girl makes out with you at a bar, ( didn't know at time)....then you go back to your squat after work ..aka.a concrete semi dry slab behind two hospitals...dirty kid status on point today lol. Never lose your touch.
Wont be able to leave until april now because of a fucking program i have to do. This shit never ends. Fuck you KittyMolotov
Might be a little AFK for a bit. Got a really short notice to be out, the house I'm living in was sold fast. Good friends own it so I'm not trying to stall em up. Unsure where I'm going, things are chaotic. Hope to stabilize by mid Jan or so? Idk
Snorting Nitrons wrote on Jerrell's profile.
Just took a closer look at your profile pic. All this time I thought it was a bunch of pills.
siid wrote on Juan Derlust's profile.
"You're never so drunk you'd eat a plate of shit someone offered you" so how would u say that in spanish ??

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
badsquirrelsclub