A list/directory of communes (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
i know it's something people often request, but i don't know where i would go to find this information.

@ItsAWastelandBaby would you mind comppiling a few and posting them in this thread? maybe we can get a collection going and i'll move it over to the 'resources' section im working on so others can contribute.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Website
www.youtube.com
There is no price on independence.

I'd like to find some caves in the side of a gorge in the sw... just light a fire and sleep on a bed roll.

The federation for intentional communities is a good place to start, but it can be overwhelming with the number of christian monasteries, bourgeois cohousing and/or closed to visitors. I'd recommend searching for specific types or areas.

Another good resource is wwoof USA It costs 40$ to register, but opens up a huge number of farms to work-trade on. There are a few communes on there, but they're mostly just regular farms, though some have communities of wwoofers. There are also international chapters for almost every country if you'd rather work trade somewhere else.

Beegod Santana

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
As people have pointed out there's already a few sites out there doing this. One major problem with communes is that very few last more than a few years without adopting pretty strict rules regarding vetting new members and such. There's a reason all the real nice looking ones have applications/fees and try to bill themselves as an educational endeavor. I think most people on here are just gonna be looking for a week-month of work/chill time without a strict timeline, and there just ain't that many places offering that.

That's exactly why I suggested wwoof. There are work requirements from the places you'll visit, but they're often flexable and in exchange they'll both feed and house you.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
The majority of mine do not want to be known. They dont want hippies or homeless people. Maybe a list of people seeking a community they can be apart of?

What skills do you bring? What do you bring bling? Can you survive the internships?" You do not get in till you bring us one bar of gold. " how quickly can you get gold and how did you get it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $25.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $25.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $25.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $25.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.