A battle between me and an Alabama attorney (1 Viewer)

Laundromat Mike

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
Riverside County California
Where do you stand on this lawyer's contention that statutes that lead to title through adverse possession can never be called "steps"? And further, that adverse possession law isn't law after all?
Note: This is a spirited conversation between myself and a supposed Alabama State Attorney. I'm looking for serious feedback because I have 100 GSA-held properties on my list, and 2020 is my "go date". Thank you.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
Since I'm 99% sure nobody who uses stp has passed the bar exam you might be barking up the wrong tree.

Try to introduce yerself first by maybe making a intro post, uploading a avatar or filling out yer profile a bit, it helps to show us that you are interested in being part of the community. Welcome to stp.

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
I'm 99% sure nobody who uses stp has passed the bar exam
You are mistaken. I did once pass the NY bar exam, although i do not practice law, and am not offering legal advice in posting this.

I have to agree that it is not really possible to respond to OP here. None of the posts at the link he provides appear to say that

statutes that lead to title through adverse possession can never be called "steps" [or] that adverse possession law isn't law after all
It would be very difficult to adversely possess 100 properties at the same time. If 2020 is Laundromat Mike's "go date" to begin occupying these 100 properties he mentions, his "stop date" when he might own those properties through a perfected adverse possession claim would be 2030 at the soonest.

Engineer J Lupo

Increasingly aggressive bro
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
In California you have to use the property as your own and make improvements on it while also paying the property taxes assuming the owner has been negligent in doing so. I find it highly unlikely you've found a hundred properties that haven't had their annual taxes paid and are also vacant.

The amount of guap you'd need to drop on a hundred properties just in taxes alone would be potentially a quarter million, $2,500 a year on a single property is common, multiplied by a hundred yearly for five years? You got that kind of bread? Then add to that the money it takes to improve the land too?

And somehow you're going to also live at each residence using it as your own too? Slow down turbo, you gotta crawl before you can walk. Try starting out with one.

I was three years into an adverse possession in California before leaving it to my nephew about a year ago. He has one more year to go and it should be his outright if all goes well. I know it can be done, but nobody's doing a hundred of em. Not in an entire lifetime they're not.

blank

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Southern GA
What's your game, squatter-turned-slumlord of 100 properties? Anywho an attorney from Alabama is still a person from Alabama, so I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say. I may not be a lawyer but I'm also not from Alabama so I will point out that you can't occupy 100 places at once.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Northern Arizona
Website
www.youtube.com
You are mistaken. I did once pass the NY bar exam, although i do not practice law, and am not offering legal advice in posting this.
Way to fucking make make me feel like a failure @Older Than Dirt

God damn gonna go contemplate my wasted life in the corner.... ;)

Seriously though, this is an awesome thread with useful info. Make me want to read up more on this law.....doesn't CrimeThinc have publications on this...? (Not really a squatter here....)

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
Way to fucking make make me feel like a failure @Older Than Dirt
I can assure you that your trainhopping videos have the same effect on me, Coywolf.

Adverse possession is a very cool concept, but very seldom will result in owning much property. It is sometimes said that adverse possession rewards theft, but that's not really correct. It punishes failure by the property owner to assert their rights for a very long time. It is a "use it or lose it" rule as to real estate.

Note that, in most states, the would-be adverse possessor has to have some legal claim to the property- it is not enough to continuously and openly occupy the property. Squatters will seldom be able to assert adverse possession claims. This may not be true in Alabama.

Sadly for Laundromat Mike, if "GSA" stands for the Federal General Services Administration, there is no such thing as adverse possession of Federal land, or of government land in general.

Nothing in this post is legal advice and, as always, everyone should always get competent legal advice before doing, or failing to do, anything whatsoever. Especially Laundromat Mike.

Last edited:
OP
L

Laundromat Mike

Banned
Current Location

I have to agree that it is not really possible to respond to OP here. None of the posts at the link he provides appear to say that

It would be very difficult to adversely possess 100 properties at the same time. If 2020 is Laundromat Mike's "go date" to begin occupying these 100 properties he mentions, his "stop date" when he might own those properties through a perfected adverse possession claim would be 2030 at the soonest.
2025 by California's standards, 6 months for quieting title etc. And I'm not looking to do 100 properties at the same time, just have 100 slated as potentials. They're mostly structures that have water and power...as well as lead-based paint. The GSA can't even begin to dispose of surplus gov't real property until all hazards and hazardous materials have been remdiated from the site.

And even then, adverse possession on government property is a no-no. But I've already done vacant land, residential, and commercial real estate in California. Government property is next.

I welcome comments and questions. The Quora thread from my initial post is where I really need guidance because, though that attorney took a off the map in terms of his misguided beliefs, he had one single key (very key) argument that will get me and my portable data center units off ever GSA property I "take".

I'm in debt to you for the review and input here on STP.

California's adverse possession statutes historically put me 60 months in possession, 18 months of pro per quiet title work in Riverside County Superior Court, and another 3 months for recording. So while 2030 is an excessive estimate, OTD's estimate could be dead-on if I experience even a single objection from the missing property owner. I've "taken" three so far in my county, and went through court unopposed. It's all public record.

As far as doing 100 properties at a time, he is right in that it is a very big number. And while I have the 100 (actually 130) slated as "potentials", OTD did get me thinking about how I could manage it. A logistical nightmare though because the buildings are strewn throughout the continental United States. Would be nice though.

The reason I have so many slated, is because my advanced screening techniques (the methods I used that brought me title in my county) tend to hemorrhage those potentials very quickly. Remember that adverse possession of government property is a no-no in the US. That's a problem, but I'm relying (rather heavily) on certain scholarly texts that, while untested in federal court, make really amazing arguments...and I have high hopes.

My big problem right now is the conversation I posted initially from my Quora account. Though that Alabama state's attorney took a walk off the map in his last post--that I didn't reply to because he showed his cards on his actual ignorance of the law (hint: "tacking on" is an academic part of AP)--he did raise one point that is key (very key) that could get me, my earth stations, and my supplier's portable data center units kicked off from every property I enter.

My coming to STP is to hopefully find experts in the subject of adverse possession. Not so much of government property because there seems to be few as passionate (or obsessed) as I in the vast holdings of the GSA. Properties that have water and power, but have sat vacant for 30 years. The 100 I have (out of 330k) are near the end of the government's list of units worthy of offering to the public for sale; a process that, in itself, takes a decade to complete.

OP
L

Laundromat Mike

Banned
Current Location
In California you have to use the property as your own and make improvements on it while also paying the property taxes assuming the owner has been negligent in doing so. I find it highly unlikely you've found a hundred properties that haven't had their annual taxes paid and are also vacant.

The amount of guap you'd need to drop on a hundred properties just in taxes alone would be potentially a quarter million, $2,500 a year on a single property is common, multiplied by a hundred yearly for five years? You got that kind of bread? Then add to that the money it takes to improve the land too?

And somehow you're going to also live at each residence using it as your own too? Slow down turbo, you gotta crawl before you can walk. Try starting out with one.

I was three years into an adverse possession in California before leaving it to my nephew about a year ago. He has one more year to go and it should be his outright if all goes well. I know it can be done, but nobody's doing a hundred of em. Not in an entire lifetime they're not.
Sorry t

OP
L

Laundromat Mike

Banned
Current Location
Sorry EJL, I should have provided more context. But AP of government real estate is not for the faint of heart. And, honestly, $500k is the minimum needed to attempt a single taking of a government property. I hope you'll read the quora conversation between me and the Alabama state's attorney. If you've started an AP taking in California, and adhered CLOSELY to the two CCP rule changes in 2018 and 2019--and PROPERLY handed the holding over to your nephew through "tacking on", then I'd value your input.
Thanks For the time.

OP
L

Laundromat Mike

Banned
Current Location

Note: In applying AP statutes to tax-exempt government property, the tax burden is zero. Try to read slower.

OP
L

Laundromat Mike

Banned
Current Location
What's your game, squatter-turned-slumlord of 100 properties? Anywho an attorney from Alabama is still a person from Alabama, so I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say. I may not be a lawyer but I'm also not from Alabama so I will point out that you can't occupy 100 places at once.
Sigh. I'm beginning to think think that I'm at the kiddie table here on STP. Maybe I should use crayons in my posts? When I write "on my list", how does that translate into my actually doing all 100 at the same time? Did you also gather, using your superior intellect, that I must be a leprechaun because the "Post Reply" button is green?
I've done three properties in my career as an adverse possessor. Between 2001 and 2014, Riverside County California's Tax Collector averaged 34,000 (that's thirty four thousand) tax delinquent properties, per year, on its "powe of sale" list. Can you begin to see how my list of POTENTIAL GSA-held properties came down from 330k, and that, I've used my advanced screening techniques on that 100, will likely boil it down to 20? Can I possess all 20? Absolutely! Note: anyone not using his or her county/parish power of sale list to shop the market is an idiot. Probably the same ridiculous fools who attempt AP on foreclosure property.

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
Sigh. I'm beginning to think think that I'm at the kiddie table here on STP. Maybe I should use crayons in my posts? When I write "on my list", how does that translate into my actually doing all 100 at the same time? Did you also gather, using your superior intellect, that I must be a leprechaun because the "Post Reply" button is green?
I've done three properties in my career as an adverse possessor. Between 2001 and 2014, Riverside County California's Tax Collector averaged 34,000 (that's thirty four thousand) tax delinquent properties, per year, on its "powe of sale" list. Can you begin to see how my list of POTENTIAL GSA-held properties came down from 330k, and that, I've used my advanced screening techniques on that 100, will likely boil it down to 20? Can I possess all 20? Absolutely! Note: anyone not using his or her county/parish power of sale list to shop the market is an idiot. Probably the same ridiculous fools who attempt AP on foreclosure property.
See this is the attitude I expected. Let me be clear so there is no confusion. Stp isn't yer Google search engine, people here share experiences with each other because they want to, not because a complete stranger who has shown no interest in being part of the community asked. So far yer a leech. Nobody here owes you a fucking thing. Do yer own research instead of piggy backing off other people's knowledge without giving anything back.

Engineer J Lupo

Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
If you've started an AP taking in California, and adhered CLOSELY to the two CCP rule changes in 2018 and 2019--and PROPERLY handed the holding over to your nephew through "tacking on", then I'd value your input.
Thanks For the time.
It wasn't handed over or tacked on. He and I entered the dwelling on the same date about 4 years ago. He's difficult to live with as roommates and I'd rather be on decent terms with my family than be at each others throats for another year+ just to half own a house. So I gave him all the pics I took as we made repairs/painted, etc as they might help his case and I wished him well.

Engineer J Lupo

Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
I've done three properties in my career as an adverse possessor.
Sounds like you're the expert here. What do you need us for? Seems like if you've successfully acquired three properties through adverse possession the last thing you'd need is advice from us or free legal advice on quora. You own three properties but you can't afford legal advice? And if you can afford it but you're trying to save a buck.. why would you bank on anything some random person online tells you? Seems to me the outcome is worth too much to gamble on free advice from all us kids siting around the coloring table. Idk man, sounds like you've done some research and you kinda know some shit but you're also kind of full of shit too. That's what I'm getting.

OP
L

Laundromat Mike

Banned
Current Location
Sounds like you're the expert here. What do you need us for? Seems like if you've successfully acquired three properties through adverse possession the last thing you'd need is advice from us or free legal advice on quora. You own three properties but you can't afford legal advice? And if you can afford it but you're trying to save a buck.. why would you bank on anything some random person online tells you? Seems to me the outcome is worth too much to gamble on free advice from all us kids siting around the coloring table. Idk man, sounds like you've done some research and you kinda know some shit but you're also kind of full of shit too. That's what I'm getting.
I'm obviously in the wrong place you're right. Quora and LinkedIn have spoiled me rotten with all their education, kindness, and general lack of suspecting everyone is out to get them. Who hurt you? (Rhetorical)

OP
L

Laundromat Mike

Banned
Current Location
It wasn't handed over or tacked on. He and I entered the dwelling on the same date about 4 years ago. He's difficult to live with as roommates and I'd rather be on decent terms with my family than be at each others throats for another year+ just to half own a house. So I gave him all the pics I took as we made repairs/painted, etc as they might help his case and I wished him well.
Got it. If you need help with the complaint to quiet title, might as well start now. Get your ducks in a row so, on the 1828th day (I add two days) you can be filing at the counter. If you need help, I have all the Judicial Counsel forms I used in the past. All my future deals won't be pro per so I don't mind getting them together for you.

OP
L

Laundromat Mike

Banned
Current Location
See this is the attitude I expected. Let me be clear so there is no confusion. Stp isn't yer Google search engine, people here share experiences with each other because they want to, not because a complete stranger who has shown no interest in being part of the community asked. So far yer a leech. Nobody here owes you a fucking thing. Do yer own research instead of piggy backing off other people's knowledge without giving anything back.
Fuck you assgo

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
I'm obviously in the wrong place you're right. Quora and LinkedIn have spoiled me rotten with all their education, kindness, and general lack of suspecting everyone is out to get them. Who hurt you? (Rhetorical)
Quora and LinkedIn are both fantastic services and I'm glad they are helping you in yer online search for free legal advice. I asked you nicely once before, but if you'd like to continue being part of this website upload a avatar, fill out yer profile and introduce yerself before expecting more free advice. Or if you wanna be a entitled chode, I would be more then happy to ban you. It's kinda yer call at this point because as far as I'm concerned yer wasting people's time here.

OP
L

Laundromat Mike

Banned
Current Location
Fuck you assgo
Fuck you assgo
Fuck you ass hole. I'm not some fucking punk who sits on my goodwill couch, waiting for the 1st and 15th to come along. I own a business with multiple locations, and I just fucking got here yesterday. I'll get my profile all done and spend time here, but I thought (erroneously perhaps) that this blog might be the place where people come to learn and share their experiences with adverse possession law. I mean i hate squatters because they've fucked up the law so badly in California, that it makes application of it a dog and pony show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$7.77
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $7.77 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $7.77 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $7.77 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $7.77 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Steal everything your gay little hands can carry
OhmyGod, meth is stupid bruh.

Why fuck your l;ife, just go to sleep bruh.
So fucking cold. Fuck. Florida aint this fuckin cold.
Should I trash pick some more chick fil A codes for free sandwiches?! I already trash picked 1 so far...
interesting. the first place itself seems worth a trip. lol i don't think they get much traveling folk... and #5 silent hill anybody know where that is? the video discreetly avoids saying the location and i want to know. i watched the rest of the video and nothing else looks of interest to me
i need some good you tuber train riders to watch... i have a few like ranoutonarail a few others... who else is good?
I'm still looking at Omaha, but if things don't work out, I hope over to Iowa.
Lost and done with cincyshit is worthless
Bored out of my mind.