News & Blogs - 9 year old girl makes shelter for the homeless | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs 9 year old girl makes shelter for the homeless

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score

This girl is a badass! I found this post on reddit.com.
This is Hailey
5JBonBe.jpg
9 year old Hailey Ford from Bremerton, Washington, has made it her goal to construct shelters for the homeless. "It just doesn't seem right that there are homeless people. I think everyone should have a place to live."

7mXwiUc.jpg
Her first project is an 8ft x 4ft (1.2m x 2.4m) wooden structure (complete with windows and insulation) for her homeless friend Edward, who has been left without a place to live after losing his job at a local supermarket.

sEzX8AZ.jpg
With some help from her grandfather as well as her mother, Hailey builds the shelters by hand, with occasional assistance from bigger power tools. She wants to have completed the construction of 12 shelters by the end of the year.

2WOFoko.jpg
The 9 year old has recieved support for the project, as each shelter costs about $300. If all goes to plan, the small shelters will be put up in a tent city which is planned to open in Bremerton later this year. Added wheels on the structures come in handy for moving them around.

TXMZ3TK.jpg
In addition to the building project, Hailey has started a garden to grow food for the homeless in her community. Last year she donated 128 pounds (58kg) of fresh fruits and vegetables. For 2015, she hopes to grow 250 pounds (113kg) of food, along with handing out 1,000 toiletries, 500 feminine hygiene products, 100 coats, and as many sleeping shelters as she can find space for.

SstQ3J4.jpg
This is Edward, who will be getting the first mobile sleeping shelter when it is completed.
ABpm30e.jpg

Hailey's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Haileys-Harvest/604332849665803?fref=ts

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is beyond awesome.

Incredible great person at such a young age.

She must have amazing parents to instill such values in her.

Definately a bright, kind and a magnaminously kick ass soul.
Good for you kiddo.

@Matt Derrick this needs to be a featured thread.

@7xMichael aka M7 aka DoubleM7 in service of CP Royal Secret Service.

I ever tell yah... you got a kick ass signature. ::cigar::

Reactions: Kal

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
I figured this was a nice change... I hate always reading about homeless people getting fucked over.

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
This is way to awesome!!!! For such a little girl to have a such big heart. Hell I was so impressed that I had to go on face book and like her and leave her a message.

Reactions: lone wolf

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads