2022 Jamboree - 2022 Jamboree Planning Thread -- Help us find a location and other junk | Squat the Planet

2022 Jamboree 2022 Jamboree Planning Thread -- Help us find a location and other junk

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2022 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hello all my beautiful squatties, it's that time of year again where we start discussing where and when to have our annual Dirty Scouts Jamboree event!

This is just a thread for us to hash out what would work best for everyone in terms of location, time of year, and what we'd like to see happen this year.

At the moment, I only have one location scouted out on the PCH highway in southern California. Some folks have expressed a desire to see the Jambo happen on the east coast, although I do not have any locations scouted out in that region (perhaps someone would like to volunteer?). We could try to do Cypress Island again, but seeing how we had issues with the boats last year and had to make some last minute changes, I would understand how folks might be against that. We could also do it in the Cle Elum, WA area again like we did last year (which would have some logistical advantages as well as being a beautiful area). Either way, I'm open to ideas, so please share your thoughts!

@jimi has volunteered to possibly do some scouting of the PNW if we decide to have it in that area.

This Wednesday, February 23rd, our weekly voice chat (in our discord server) will be centered around discussing possible locations for the Jambo, so if you'd like to voice chat with us and share your thoughts, please join us!

Lotus Shaped Potato

Reaction score
Website
www.dhammaflow.org
So, an east coast thing would work best for me, especially late summer.

There’s free camping in WV’s Dolly Sod’s that I have stayed at before. This is the dot I have saved on my map:
39°03'26.8"N 79°17'05.0"W

There was no posted signage. I stayed for five nights, never saw a Ranger, saw many other people with various vehicles stop and leave. It’s a spot people drive through to other camping sites so it’s not middle of nothing.

Plentiful fallen wood for fires, easy hiking stuff nearby. But I’m a “stay at the camp” person so I didn’t hunt around for water or anything. Nearest store is a bit of a hike out.

The cell service was essentially phone call only.

Last edited:

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How would y'all feel about somewhere near the middle of the U.S.? Either way, I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, and since I feel that I'm finally free from the debacle and awfulness that is the slab city Library, and slab city IN GENERAL; I'd like to become more active in the REAL traveler community again, so I definitely intend on attending the 2022 Jambo, regardless of where it's located.

Reactions: Jerrell

AlexKnoch

Reaction score
Website
AlexKnoch.com
I plan on going to the Colorado Rainbow gathering in July then off to the east coast so anywhere in between there works for me. I'm in Wisconsin currently and there are tons of places around here, especially in the Nicolet National Forest. I can definitely scout some places around Wisconsin if that works out.

Reactions: Jim

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Okay, so apologies for the photo dump, but here's pics of the place I was referring to in the OP.

The name of the place is Arroyo Hondo Vista Point. It's located on the 101 Highway along the California coast, about 30 mins from Santa Barbara, and two hours from central Los Angeles.

IMG_20210504_065129.jpg

IMG_20210504_065140.jpg

It's basically a pull out lot with enough room for about 10-15 vehicles. I stayed there for one night in May 2021. It wasn't all that crowded, anywhere from 5-10 vehicle spots were available throughout the day, and if it was crowded people can just squeeze in on the sides and it didn't seem to be a big deal.

IMG_20210504_092927.jpg

There are railroad tracks between the parking lot and a cliff that drops off straight down into the ocean. I don't recall any trains going by, but I'm a heavy sleeper. @Daisy might have some input on this since they were with me at the time.

IMG_20210504_065251.jpg

As you can see here I deployed the roof tent I had on my Prius at that time, I don't think anyone looked at me weird that I noticed. At night there were two other RVs with lawn chairs set out drinking beers and hanging out.

While all that is pretty cool, what I think makes this a good Jambo location is that if you go through some bushes to a small trail to the north...

IMG_20210504_093006.jpg

You'll come onto this old abandoned bridge, with a neat train bridge next to it.

IMG_20210504_093118.jpg

Most traffic from the highway can't see you here unless they're really looking. But continuing on, at the end of the bridge is a nice, flat area for folks to hang out at, very much out of the view of the highway traffic, and definitely outside of the view of folks parking in the parking lot.

PANO_20210504_093633.vr.jpg

Not pictured is just under the railroad bridge is a set of stairs that will take you down the cliffside to the ocean beach. I didn't walk down there myself, but it looked pretty nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_065233.jpg
    IMG_20210504_065233.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20210504_065341.jpg
    IMG_20210504_065341.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20210504_065351.jpg
    IMG_20210504_065351.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20210504_093114.jpg
    IMG_20210504_093114.jpg
    839.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20210504_093310.jpg
    IMG_20210504_093310.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210504_093429.jpg
    IMG_20210504_093429.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210504_093448.jpg
    IMG_20210504_093448.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210504_093617.jpg
    IMG_20210504_093617.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210504_093624.jpg
    IMG_20210504_093624.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 98

jimi

Reaction score
There are some punk music events in OR/WA in early september that I don't wanna miss, so if we're aiming for late summer closer to the west coast is gonna be better for me personally. WA/OR would be the most convenient but really I could do anywhere within a day or two's drive. There's lots of free camping out here and I have some spots in mind to check out, and I am happy to do scouting. While an island sounds cool, I do have some reservations about leaving my van unattended somewhere I'm not familiar with for days at a time. If we're looking at the PNW I have equipment I can haul in; tables, water containers, fire pits (in case of burn bans) extra camping gear, etc.

If we're looking at earlier in the summer I might be able to make it out further. My partner lives in KY so with enough notice he may be able to take time off work, and I may be able to fly out there and drive with him to somewhere relatively nearby.

The spot out by Cle Elum WA this last year actually wasn't bad at all, there was a good amount of of parking and a river, cell reception, good hikes, close enough to civ to do supply runs if necessary, and there were several other open spots near each other for folks who wanted more privacy. We were a little worried about it being crowded, but we didn't have a problem finding a great place at all in the end, though it is in a sort of high traffic area. We also scouted a spot just east of where we settled on, with TONS of parking on a lake, but it's an area where horse people ride through, so off leash dogs might be sketch, and it didn't have great reception. I also have some super sick spots in mind that could work well out near Oakridge OR, but I haven't been out to them in a while. The spot in socal Matt posted doesn't look bad either, maybe a little exposed, but that can be fine.

On a side note, if it comes to it I'd also be totally willing to pitch towards reserving an actual camping area if we want water/bathrooms or greater accessibility.

• Love It
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'd really like to hear more about those spots in WA/OR when you get a chance, sounds pretty nice. Also, I like the idea of having it in August, since as you mentioned that makes it easy to hit up other festivals before and after the jambo.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
just a small update, it's starting to look like we may focus on the PNW again this year due to the amount of other events going on in that area around the same time. but, nothing is written in stone yet, we're just leaning in that direction. pro/cons/rsvp and other ideas are always welcome.

heatdeath

Reaction score
There are some punk music events in OR/WA in early september that I don't wanna miss, so if we're aiming for late summer closer to the west coast is gonna be better for me personally. WA/OR would be the most convenient but really I could do anywhere within a day or two's drive. There's lots of free camping out here and I have some spots in mind to check out, and I am happy to do scouting. While an island sounds cool, I do have some reservations about leaving my van unattended somewhere I'm not familiar with for days at a time. If we're looking at the PNW I have equipment I can haul in; tables, water containers, fire pits (in case of burn bans) extra camping gear, etc.

If we're looking at earlier in the summer I might be able to make it out further. My partner lives in KY so with enough notice he may be able to take time off work, and I may be able to fly out there and drive with him to somewhere relatively nearby.

The spot out by Cle Elum WA this last year actually wasn't bad at all, there was a good amount of of parking and a river, cell reception, good hikes, close enough to civ to do supply runs if necessary, and there were several other open spots near each other for folks who wanted more privacy. We were a little worried about it being crowded, but we didn't have a problem finding a great place at all in the end, though it is in a sort of high traffic area. We also scouted a spot just east of where we settled on, with TONS of parking on a lake, but it's an area where horse people ride through, so off leash dogs might be sketch, and it didn't have great reception. I also have some super sick spots in mind that could work well out near Oakridge OR, but I haven't been out to them in a while. The spot in socal Matt posted doesn't look bad either, maybe a little exposed, but that can be fine.

On a side note, if it comes to it I'd also be totally willing to pitch towards reserving an actual camping area if we want water/bathrooms or greater accessibility.
What events are those? I love a good punk fest

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
So, given my current travel plans and associated logistics, it seems most likely we'll be meeting up in the Western Washington/Oregon state area. We're still looking for locations, but to avoid confusion I'm going to close this thread and start a new one.

Reactions: AlexKnoch
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads