2020 Jamboree has been cancelled due to COVID-19 :( (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
When we started planning for the 2020 Jambo this year, I think a lot of us were pretty optimistic that the general infection rates would go down by the time the Jamboree came to be; unfortunately, due to our inept government and idiotic populace, Covid-19 infection rates are now rising instead of dropping as we had hoped. This was obviously because of the too-early reopening of several states and American's addiction to the death-cult of capitalism (where money/goods/haircuts are more important than people's lives), so here we are. Currently there's no telling when the infection rate is going to subside, so I am extremely disappointed to say that we have to cancel this year's gathering.

I created this thread with a voting poll to get the community's opinion, and most folks agreed that it would be at least somewhat irresponsible to gather a bunch of folks together given the circumstances and possibility of infecting others, especially given the risk of infecting others even if someone isn't showing any symptoms.

My apologies to everyone who was planning on attending, I know you're as disappointed as I am. I know a lot of you had made plans to come out and even spent money preparing for this (myself included), but obviously this virus thing is something way outside of our control.

I'm locking this thread and asking people to direct their energy towards discussion of when/where the next Jamboree will happen (probably sometime in 2021).

Last edited:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Tengu91

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
It sucks the Jamboree's cancelled, but I 100% understand and respect the reason behind it. Kudos to you, @Matt Derrick for being so responsible.

I'm in Mexico now and have no idea when I'll return; I want to keep up to date as to when and where the next gathering will be though!! There's a lot of open land between Flagstaff AZ and the Grand Canyon. I don't know what the rules or regulations are for setting up a gathering, but when I was working at the Canyon I'd always see people boondocking out in the middle of nowhere. That might not be the ideal place for the Jamboree, but it's something consider.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
It sucks the Jamboree's cancelled, but I 100% understand and respect the reason behind it. Kudos to you, @Matt Derrick for being so responsible.

I'm in Mexico now and have no idea when I'll return; I want to keep up to date as to when and where the next gathering will be though!! There's a lot of open land between Flagstaff AZ and the Grand Canyon. I don't know what the rules or regulations are for setting up a gathering, but when I was working at the Canyon I'd always see people boondocking out in the middle of nowhere. That might not be the ideal place for the Jamboree, but it's something consider.

it's funny you mention that because that's definitely in my top 5 locations i'd consider.

Tengu91

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
@Matt Derrick I've still got some friends in the area. If the idea gains more popularity, feel free to send me a message! I might be able to get some of them to provide a 'boots on the ground' perspective and help with location scouting if need be.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
I just saw the threads in the Jambo discussion thread. Late to the convo. But I wholeheartedly agree with the decision.

The times are too fluid IMO to continue planning, let alone plan, for the Jambo. WA may shut stuff down again. I'm seeing what is currently going on with current politics, and when Trump starts wearing a mask, you know shit ain't going to be good any time soon.

@EphemeralStick @Matt Derrick @CrowTheBard and everyone else that has put serious time into planning this event, thank you. Thank you so much for your time and effort into this celebration of everything StP, and the comraderry that it builds. I know this is a blow to everyone.

I would also like to thank everyone for coming to a (pretty much) uniform decision that postponing this event is looking out for traveler safety. Times are fucking crazy, seriously, and the ability for all of us to get together is a hot commodity concerning the loneliness and hard times this situation has presented to people out there on the road, or stationary, for that matter.

My take here is that holding the Jambo does take a serious risk. As some have said, getting a few travelers together from across the country does create a 'petri dish' from people who have been in multiple areas of the country. And when we are dealing with many people who cannot even fathom health insurance, let alone a place to quarantine, or a place to weather a SERIOUS illness, I feel this is the right decision.

Keep doing what you do, all you would-be Jambo attendees....I'm sure we can have an event soon to bring everyone (who is willing) together. But for now, we have to look out for one another.

Shit sucks, tho. I just moved up to the PNW and was really looking forward to the event. If anyone is up in the Olympic/Seattle area, I am definitely down to meet up/talk trains! 😁

CrowTheBard

Wanderer
This is such a bummer but @Matt Derrick made the right call (with community input.) We have a duty to protect each other, as our government and the Capitalists have abandoned us at this pivotal moment in history (no real surprise there amirite?)

I know so many folks out time and effort and money into planning for this, and it is seriously sad to have to cancel it, but I do agree it was the right choice. I’ve personally been looking forward to taking as many of ya dirty kids sailing over this Jambo as I could. I was excites to share my passion with all of you, and maybe even hook one or two of you long term into the sailing life.

please be safe out there comrades. Look out for each other. Keep making the hard choices, and stand in solidarity. Now, more than ever, we need to unify our class. I’m sorry to all whom have to miss this.

If/when things improve, id love to take anyone sailing whom makes it out here to my corner of the PNW.

cheers,
Crow

I just saw the threads in the Jambo discussion thread. Late to the convo. But I wholeheartedly agree with the decision.

The times are too fluid IMO to continue planning, let alone plan, for the Jambo. WA may shut stuff down again. I'm seeing what is currently going on with current politics, and when Trump starts wearing a mask, you know shit ain't going to be good any time soon.

@EphemeralStick @Matt Derrick @CrowTheBard and everyone else that has put serious time into planning this event, thank you. Thank you so much for your time and effort into this celebration of everything StP, and the comraderry that it builds. I know this is a blow to everyone.

I would also like to thank everyone for coming to a (pretty much) uniform decision that postponing this event is looking out for traveler safety. Times are fucking crazy, seriously, and the ability for all of us to get together is a hot commodity concerning the loneliness and hard times this situation has presented to people out there on the road, or stationary, for that matter.

My take here is that holding the Jambo does take a serious risk. As some have said, getting a few travelers together from across the country does create a 'petri dish' from people who have been in multiple areas of the country. And when we are dealing with many people who cannot even fathom health insurance, let alone a place to quarantine, or a place to weather a SERIOUS illness, I feel this is the right decision.

Keep doing what you do, all you would-be Jambo attendees....I'm sure we can have an event soon to bring everyone (who is willing) together. But for now, we have to look out for one another.

Shit sucks, tho. I just moved up to the PNW and was really looking forward to the event. If anyone is up in the Olympic/Seattle area, I am definitely down to meet up/talk trains! 😁
I'm close..on Whidbey...welcome here..

When we started planning for the 2020 Jambo this year, I think a lot of us were pretty optimistic that the general infection rates would go down by the time the Jamboree came to be; unfortunately, due to our inept government and idiotic populace, Covid-19 infection rates are now rising instead of dropping as we had hoped. This was obviously because of the too-early reopening of several states and American's addiction to the death-cult of capitalism (where money/goods/haircuts are more important than people's lives), so here we are. Currently there's no telling when the infection rate is going to subside, so I am extremely disappointed to say that we have to cancel this year's gathering.

I created this thread with a voting poll to get the community's opinion, and most folks agreed that it would be at least somewhat irresponsible to gather a bunch of folks together given the circumstances and possibility of infecting others, especially given the risk of infecting others even if someone isn't showing any symptoms.

My apologies to everyone who was planning on attending, I know you're as disappointed as I am. I know a lot of you had made plans to come out and even spent money preparing for this (myself included), but obviously this virus thing is something way outside of our control.

I'm locking this thread and asking people to direct their energy towards discussion of when/where the next Jamboree will happen (probably sometime in 2021).

hey Matt..you know anything about "getting loud" permits?..i was just thinking..you know..I got a big place..and 2 sleepable out buildings..it would be tight timing..but..could we have a "mini" at my pad??..hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????? (feel like i am 12 and asking daddy if I can have a sleep over..lol)

hey Matt..you know anything about "getting loud" permits?..i was just thinking..you know..I got a big place..and 2 sleepable out buildings..it would be tight timing..but..could we have a "mini" at my pad??..hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????? (feel like i am 12 and asking daddy if I can have a sleep over..lol)
and...I just put in brand spanking new water heater today,...and have 2 on demand portable h20 heaters for the out buildings..just not up and working at the mo..

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com

i would say let's start another thread about this so we can talk about it there and not derail this discussion here.

and...I just put in brand spanking new water heater today,...and have 2 on demand portable h20 heaters for the out buildings..just not up and working at the mo..
here is my pad
Capture20200715201034.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.