• Yes!

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EphemeralStick

The Guay Agenda
So I got this crazy idea that decided to run by @Matt Derrick and that's to host the 2020 Jamboree digitally! Yea, it's not really the same as meeting up on an island for an awesome camp out but hey, it's something.

Essentially it would be three days where we all get together online to stream movies, talk in video chat, and hangout online together in place of the real Jamboree. Matt found a video sharing app that will allow us to watch the same movie with a text chat overlay, so that could be a thing. There could also be folks who want to play music on camera, or share interesting stories, maybe even some digital workshops.

What do you all think, is this something the community would be interesting? Also would anyone being willing to host a workshop or play music? Let us know!

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Yeah we can definitely watch movies together with Kast:

It's the best app I've found so far for that kind of thing and it's available for both Windows/Mac desktop and mobile devices (you can also just use a web browser, chrome/edge only though, no firefox).

Website
m.soundcloud.com
Wow.. I say, why not! Adjusting to the circumstances makes sense. I think for those that have the capability to engage may definitely enjoy themselves. Unfortunately I most likely wont be able to tune in, because I'll be on the road.. but who knows.

Jerrell

Vagabond
I barely know what day it is and miss most Wednesday chats, so as much as I'd like to do an online thing, I'm probably not gonna. I still travel full time when I'm not getting molested on some level by Portland and will undoubtedly forget about an online event.
But! For those of y'all still housed up and/or held down, it sounds great! That first month of the shut down, I would have dug the fuck out of this.

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
I barely know what day it is and miss most Wednesday chats

Slight derailment here on my part but slightly related, at least to the discord chats on Wednesdays. I think this is the case for many of us, I never know what day it is. I've missed all but one and they've been running for a while. The one I did join last week was fun, small but fun.

Maybe we could benefit from using a mass text app that can be programmed to send on a scheduled time to a certain group of contacts.I play an MMORPG where there's certain incredibly rare spawns that can just randomly pop whenever.. The leader of our guild has all of our cell numbers and he has an app that will send off an alert letting us know we need to log in to take down said rare spawn.

It works tremendously well. It seems like we could enable something like that for the weekly discord chats. Matt could download an app, make a post asking those of us who want to be alerted before the chat starts to send him a PM with our numbers. Then he can put us in a group on his phone, and set it to send off the alert say 20 minutes prior to the chat start time?

Idk, it could help. Something to consider.

Also, I'd join these virtual jambo chats if we go through with it. Unless I space the day and time.. mass text alert app could solve that too.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
Aw man, great idea! But unfortunately my current internet situation will bar me from attending.

Website
facebook.com
Except that most people do not have any "phone number" and you will probably be doing something else even if you had one.

As for some government-tracking enabled, incorrectly-described "online gathering", a better idea will be to simply gather in real life, espeicially if it is for multipledays and therefore easy to come to... in real life. There is literally no such thing as an "online party", by the way. A party by definition involves going to a place where other people are... Duh?

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
Except that most people do not have any "phone number" and you will probably be doing something else even if you had one.

As for some government-tracking enabled, incorrectly-described "online gathering", a better idea will be to simply gather in real life, espeicially if it is for multipledays and therefore easy to come to... in real life. There is literally no such thing as an "online party", by the way. A party by definition involves going to a place where other people are... Duh?

I bet you're fun at parties.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.

I don't know about that "no such thing as an online party" --- I've been working from home since March and have all sorts of online meetings (using Zoom), and due to the way we are living mostly now a days - have been to a couple of online birthday parties and even online happy hours (these are fun) - and yeah of course the in the flesh real deal is the best - but not at this time for me. I'll stick to the online fun for now - and look forward to the live streaming/digital whatever event that I hope goes forth!

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.