Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, it's that time of year again, where we start planning for this year's gathering of travelers from the StP community. This thread is just to get the discussion ball rolling, once we've made some basic decisions we'll create a few more threads dedicated to those specific topics.

For now though, what do you want to see happen in this year's event?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
personally, i would like to propose a new location for the event. nothing at all against @Cornelius Vango or the slabs or anything else, but this will be my 10th year going to slab city, and frankly, I've been there, done that, and then did it 9 times more. So I'm a little burned out.

Doesn't mean we can't do something in the same region, but I for one would like to do something different this year.

One idea is that maybe we could organize a group adventure somewhere? like maybe to Goat Canyon Trestle Trail Head? Or Area 51? Or maybe do something in New Orleans? I'm just kinda spit balling here, but i'd really like to hear everyone's ideas.

EphemeralStick

Quality Control Queer Commando
Staff member
Current Location
Santa Cruz ish
I wanna see fireworks. Safely of course. But, like, a bunch of them! Also going to Glamis could be fun!

Goat Canyon sounds awesome! If we do something more remote, I could set up a temporary kitchen with my van, easy peasy!

Also if its not in slabs I'm gonna nix the firework idea.

Bey

Rambler
Current Location
New England
...where is 'here'?
Sorry, I meant the apartment here in Burlington, VT. It was a poor attempt at humor. Although, I wouldn't object to helping with any event in Vermont, but I think you have the Midwest/West in mind, yes?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Very interested in the input here (cause I am putting together my gear for another occasion that is ready for here) - and I do remember people thinking of suggesting some parcels of land that they had access too. Remember some conversations with people at the slabs 3 yrs ago too. lol - remember who? ha But the topic of where IT could happen next was on topic.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Utah
Website
www.youtube.com
I actually really enjoyed the Jambo being at the slabs. The location, access, weather, distance to stores, lack of law enforcement, safety, and then, of course, Ska Bar, seemed to put a perfect ambiance to the event.

But then again, I haven't attended for 10 years....

Quartzite or Ehrenburg would be good places as well. Just really voting for places where we have something to do, wont be bothered by LE, and close to stores/highways, as well as near some sort of water.

The slabs seemed to have the 'infrastructure' needed for such an event, but I also feel very guilty putting out Corn and Andrew when they are trying to run an organization.

Current Location
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Website
www.youtube.com
Area 51? Could be interesting!
Will this be in November?
I like to add, how about San Luis Valley Colorado? A lot of mysterious stuff goes on out there. Or have have it under the bridge in Milwaukee on 6th & Clybourn near the Amtrak/bus station! There's a tent city already there! OK, just kidding! I am thinking of places that might help.

Last edited:

dumpsternavel

Wayfarer
Current Location
Fuck Off Land
Yes. PLEASE SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN SLABS. I'm highly for this.
We have some pretty cool projects happening here in Lewis County, WA..
But I feel like we'd be a bit more willing to host in 2020 or something.
Are you still thinking of Oct, or November??

Reactions: 1 person
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
what's the story on that place?

We could just huck it on some desert BLM land since many of us like to try and winter in warm climate around that time.
i feel like there's a division between the slabs and not-slabs. i'm all about a comprimise if it makes sense. i like the idea of having an adventure somewhere in the region and coming back to the library afterwards, like i mentioned with the goat canyon location in the OP.

@Cornelius Vango brought up a good idea for going to a location in joshua tree, but i'll let them post the details. sounds like it could be a solid plan though.

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Jambo Organizer
Current Location
Slab City, Ca
Alright. Picture this if you will;

A large swath of BLM land in the desert which is home to a mining district which was abandoned over a 100 years ago. The only way out is on what remains of a mule trail which adventurer J. Smeaton Chase once rode his own mule down. This area is quite remote.

The road is difficult to find, and a street vehicle can only make it a few miles in. The first mine is about a two mile hike from there. The second mine is two miles further, with a ghost town approximately 4 miles beyond that, and possibly a second ghost town, one of which had plumbing from a well located 3 miles from it.

I have been researching this location, which is near Joshua Tree National Park, a mere 3.5 hour drive north of Slabs in the high desert. If you know anything about Joshua Tree, you know it's among the most beautiful places in the world.

I propose that this year for the Jamboree we do something more along the lines of a guided expedition into this mining district. We can set up a base camp at the entrance and go on a few hikes to locations of interest, and if we can discover the ghost towns and even a water source, these will be great achievements. We can even outline mission objectives. This will be quite a bit more rugged than past Jamborees, but basecamp will provide a nice atmosphere as well so folks of all abilities will be able to attend and participate in different ways. A bonus of this location is that it's close enough to Slabs that folks can migrate back easily after the Jambo. That way, people who haven't been to Slab City before have a chance to stop through.

Last edited:
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Alright. Picture this if you will;

A large swath of BLM land in the desert which is home to a mining district which was abandoned over a 100 years ago. The only way out is on what remains of a mule trail which adventurer J. Smeaton Chase once rode his own mule down. This area is quite remote.

The road is difficult to find, and a street vehicle can only make it a few miles in. The first mine is about a two mile hike from there. The second mine is two miles further, with a ghost town approximately 4 miles beyond that, and possibly a second ghost town, one of which had plumbing from a well located 3 miles from it.

I have been researching this location, which is near Joshua Tree National Park, a mere 3.5 hour drive north of Slabs in the high desert. If you know anything about Joshua Tree, you know it's among the most beautiful places in the world.

I propose that this year for the Jamboree we do something more along the lines of a guided expedition into this mining district. We can set up a base camp at the entrance and go on a few hikes to locations of interest, and if we can discover the ghost towns and even a water source, these will be great achievements. We can even outline mission objectives. This will be quite a bit more rugged than past Jamborees, but basecamp will provide a nice atmosphere as well so folks of all abilities will be able to attend and participate in different ways. A bonus of this location is that it's close enough to Slabs that folks can migrate back easily after the Jambo That way, people who haven't been to Slab City before have a chance to stop through.
i really like the idea of an expedition, especially if there's a few guaranteed spots to check out (i.e. the mines) and some possibilities for finding that ghost town (or multiple). should probably shoot for first week of november again just so it's not tooooo hot?

@Cornelius Vango do you have a link to google maps of maybe somewhere nearish where you're talking about? just so we have an idea of the region, doesn't have to be specifics yet.

anyways, curious to hear what folks think about this idea.

Current Location
Slab City, California
I second the proposal from @Cornelius Vango. Slabs is fun, but the expedition would make a great change of pace from previous Jambos and it would be a wonderful adventure. The base camp allows everyone a choice as to their involvement in the expedition. A superb idea, I do declare.

Reactions: 1 person