20 year old, looking to head south | Squat the Planet

20 year old, looking to head south

WintrowVestrit

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Hello fellow squatters,

For reasons I won't bore you with now, I've decided to head South. Right now, I'm in the Netherlands. The most I can get to my name is 2000 euros. My plan is to travel till I'm content, but probably even longer. I've never traveled alone before, so I want to go as prepared as I can. After that Lady Luck may have me, but right now I just want to get my essentials straight.
The things I have right now :
Hiking backpack 60L
2 smaller backpacks, like the ones for school
laptop + laptop bag
Sleeping bag
Air mattress
There's obviously other stuff Im taking, but there's no need to mention them, clothes and stuff.
My reason for making this post is that I want to hear some opinions and recommendations. What would you do, were you in my shoes. What would you take with you on a journey of unknown length and minimum resources?

D

Deleted member 125

Is it yer plan to travel with 3 backpacks and a inflatable air mattress?

How are you traveling?

What I would take with me would be a pretty standard kit, which would not include 2 extra backpacks or a air mattress. Do you plan to do any cooking? Might be helpful to include a mess kit in one of yer packs. Things like good socks, a decent flashlight/headlamp are kind of standard issue also. Are you planning on spending alot of time in the bush or mostly in or near towns or cities?

This is such a blanket question "what should I take?" It doesnt make it any easier to answer since youv given very little info about what yer plan is.

Theres a ton of info on general "what to bring" stuff on this site, you might wanna give a few other threads a gander to see what others have packed to give yerself a better idea of what to expect.

D

Deleted member 125

Oh I see, thanks for the quick answer

Well a little more info would be helpful to answer some of yer questions ya know?

How are you intending to travel? Are you planning on staying in towns or wanting to do more of a rural style trip? Just knowing the answer to those 2 questions could help you prepare better depending on yer environment.

WintrowVestrit

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Well a little more info would be helpful to answer some of yer questions ya know?

How are you intending to travel? Are you planning on staying in towns or wanting to do more of a rural style trip? Just knowing the answer to those 2 questions could help you prepare better depending on yer environment.

Well, I'm heading south so the environment will be pretty nice outside. I was thinking of doing both rural and staying in towns.
I guess, what I'm tryin to ask is how do I into the nomadic lifestyle? I feel like my town is too small for me and I want to see more of the world. But I don't rightly know what I need to get me started, or I guess maybe I do, but I just want confirmation...

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 23824

Well, I'm heading south so the environment will be pretty nice outside. I was thinking of doing both rural and staying in towns.
I guess, what I'm tryin to ask is how do I into the nomadic lifestyle? I feel like my town is too small for me and I want to see more of the world. But I don't rightly know what I need to get me started, or I guess maybe I do, but I just want confirmation...

Since the conditions etc. are so different for travelers within Europe than here in North America, would be cool if StP had a section, for travel in Europe. I know you guys are also mostly locked down now, but you have far better travel opportunities, to my knowledge with better bus lines, passenger trains, cheap hostels. Not sure how friendly/unfriendly it is for stealth camping in cities or the countryside.

There are members from Europe who will chime in, you can also just message them directly if you notice their country of origin.

Chonkthebonk

Reaction score
Yea the travel restrictions in Europe right now make everything impossible.
As soon as they open up again I’m hitchhiking east. Gonna clown and busk along the way for monies and just keep my thumb out.
for advise I’m not sure what your after? You can camp in woods if your discrete no problem, a lot of places you can sleep on the streets fine but some cities the police will give you shit.
I’ve found people in Europe are less up for interacting in Europe than America but it’s all still there.
Go much more lightweight in your pack. You want the minimum stuff while staying warm and dry.

Fimdridil

Reaction score
Hello fellow squatters,

For reasons I won't bore you with now, I've decided to head South. Right now, I'm in the Netherlands. The most I can get to my name is 2000 euros. My plan is to travel till I'm content, but probably even longer. I've never traveled alone before, so I want to go as prepared as I can. After that Lady Luck may have me, but right now I just want to get my essentials straight.
The things I have right now :
Hiking backpack 60L
2 smaller backpacks, like the ones for school
laptop + laptop bag
Sleeping bag
Air mattress
There's obviously other stuff Im taking, but there's no need to mention them, clothes and stuff.
My reason for making this post is that I want to hear some opinions and recommendations. What would you do, were you in my shoes. What would you take with you on a journey of unknown length and minimum resources?

Hi there. Are you planning on traveling alone? Because I was planning to get out of here around august. Also located in the Netherlands. I have an extra tarp for you which comes in very handy. I would suggest packing a tent and buying a solar charging panel. Good luck and would love to hear from you.

Groetjes,

Jeroen

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads