2 packs, which is better for train hopping? (1 Viewer)

Current Location
Grand Rapids, MI
I have a north face alteo 50L pack I picked up a couple years ago when I got big into hiking and back packing. It's really great, and big! But I could see the biggest downfall being the BRIGHT ORANGE.
The other pack is a maybe 25-30L assault pack. My buddy from the Marines gave it to me, and it has tons of places to hookup as many carribeaners as i would want really. It fits everything I have so far, I just don't know about anything extra I pickup along the way.
My buddy, an "experienced" train rider told me to go with the green pack, but any input helps. Thanks!

Attachments

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
With a permanent blue marker, your orange backpack becomes a mottled, awesome, different version of camouflage. Be sure to wash it afterwards to let it bleed.

Buy some markers.

Chuy94

Lurker
Current Location
Wichita, Kansas
Yea id take the green one also. Bright colors wont do you any good out there.if buy that orange one from you if I was close to you, its nice.im gonna be hittin the rails soon also.I gotta start gettin my shitt together

OP
likearollingstoned
Current Location
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for all the advice. I expect the extra space would be great. I've watched some dying videos on youtube, and it seems like something I should do when I have more time. I'm literally waiting for our landlord to tell us to get the fuck out, so i'm stuck getting ready to move all my shit.
I've also read some cool articles online about living off or a 20L pack. I'm usually wearing mostly black, so thats a descent camo? for right now my green pack will probably be the pack to go with. It's also made of a stronger material that would hold up better tossing it around.
If i decide to make this long term I can always come back and get it, or trade, or sell it.
Again thanks for your input stp!

OP
likearollingstoned
Current Location
Grand Rapids, MI
image-jpg.25875_2 packs, which is better for train hopping?_Backpacks & Pouches_Squat the Planet_12:44 PM
I acquired this little digi camo bag, and for a while i've been carrying my camera around in it, and I had planned to keep my food inside it on my travels.
My sleeping bag literally took up the whole back half of my pack. I stuffed the shit out of it to get it to fit inside this little bag and it actually fully zipped. So that frees up so much space!

P

pigpen

I deleted myself
I would fix the stuff sack to the bottom of your green pack and put the tarp on one of the sides. if all that is inside the stuff sack is a sleeping bag, you can sit on the stuff sack and keep your more valuable/breakable stuff in the main pack. you wanna make sure that shit (stuff sack) is tightly fixed and doesn't bounce around if you plan on running down trains, or running at all really. if your gonna strap things to the side of your pack you want to make sure the weight is evenly distributed on both sides. if this stuff sounds kind of obvious it's because it's all fairly simple stuff you'll pick up on your own after wearing any given pack for a few days or weeks or whatever.

also for what it's worth (shitty) people might be more inclined to fuck with you if your carrying a "yuppie pack".

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
ide go with the northface 7 days a week. im assuming it has internal frame right? my packs also 50l and i had to find a happy medium of just not fully compacting stuff as much as i could so it still wears comfortably. ive heard some mixed reviews about those army/marine assault packs to be honest...i think they just look weird. that and having to clip on a extra little side bag seems annoying and like it would cause yer balance to be off.

OP
likearollingstoned
Current Location
Grand Rapids, MI
I would fix the stuff sack to the bottom of your green pack and put the tarp on one of the sides.
The straps underneath are so small, the tarp is about all I can fit inside there. I get what you're saying about shit flopping all over the place if I'm running. There is a strap to the side that I can tuck the little stuff sack into so it doesn't flop around at all. I might even be able to pick up another one from my brother before I go.

OP
likearollingstoned
Current Location
Grand Rapids, MI
ide go with the northface 7 days a week. im assuming it has internal frame right? my packs also 50l and i had to find a happy medium of just not fully compacting stuff as much as i could so it still wears comfortably.
Shit man I feel like the 50L is the way to go if it wasn't bright orange and like @pigpen said, I wouldn't want anyone taking advantage of me just because I've got a nice pack

P

pigpen

I deleted myself
don't be scared to carry nice things, just be smart. and i would suggest finding a shopping cart and cutting the child safety straps off and fixing them to the bottom of your pack to remedy the strap issue.

OP
likearollingstoned
Current Location
Grand Rapids, MI
The child safety strap is a genius idea!
I could always pull a black garbage bag over the 50L pack. kinda solves the whole being bright orange thang

wombatt

Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
That orange pack is the way to go more comfortable, good frame and more space. As far as color is concerned It will just become that muddy black brown color that all your other shit is once it's been on a few trains. An old road dog of mine traveled with an assault pack for a month and it was a hellish experience with weight distribution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?
I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.
Happy :) 8 more days till my babe is out <3
2800 k this past week or so on teh vespa!ODIN give me a medal !
Scooped up some dirty kids from the USA at walmart. Glad we caught ya's and had some time to party before you headed out. Safe travels Sasha and Meaghan! You're fucking awesome!
Lovely, and greasy... duh
Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!

Members online