Taking my tablet? | Squat the Planet

Taking my tablet?

Pepin

Reaction score
I have a Nexus 7 that I'd like to take hopping with me. It's mad light and has a pretty decent battery life with a battery saver. Opinions? Should I bring it? If so, what kind of steps could I take for protecting it? Right now I just carry it in the box it came in.

D

deleted user

if you think you can manage it not getting broken. ive hitched all three times across country with my iphone and it made it out alive. as far as how to not get it broken, idk, i just kept it in my pocket lol.

D

deleted user

Well, you see, the tablet is a 7 inch beauty, haha. It isn't gonna fit in my pocket. :p
thats what im saying. no clue how to tell you to prevent it from getting broken. i hitched with a laptop one time, kept it in my backpack, made it out alive. just stayed concious that it was there.

Pepin

Reaction score
I'd feel safer with a laptop. This tablet is too fragile to be in the bag alone. I'm trying to figure out what I can put it in to protect it from breaking.

It isn't a total delicate flower though. I've dropped it many times and even kicked it across a room by accident once.

D

deleted user

I'd feel safer with a laptop. This tablet is too fragile to be in the bag alone. I'm trying to figure out what I can put it in to protect it from breaking.

It isn't a total delicate flower though. I've dropped it many times and even kicked it across a room by accident once.
what gear are you gonna role with? also @Matt Derrick might have some tips for you

Pepin

Reaction score
Machete, fire kit(s), misc multitools are floating around my bag, etc. I guess just basic shit. I just realized I can probably put it in one of the back pockets on my Alice if I wrap it in a thick cloth.

East

Reaction score
If you had an iPad mini I'd say get a lifeproof case because it's not only going to provide protection from drops but can also be submerged completely in water. My friend had a lifeproof case that was pretty banged up and he gave it a good toss at the side of a wall and it did nothing.

I think the best case for impact for the Nexus 7 is made by Otterbox at the moment. Might want to YT some drop tests or something. If you put it in an Otterbox case and wrap it up really well in a sleeping bag/clothing it might come out alive. Just sucks that it costs for a good case, but it's worth every penny if you're going to be hopping.

http://www.otterbox.com/Google-Nexus-7-Defender-Series-case/77-25009,default,pd.html

If you're on a budget putting it in a plastic snap case along with clothes wrapped around it and bands to keep it shut might work, sort of like sturdy Tupperware or something.

Pepin

Reaction score
I probably should have mentioned that I have no income at all. I'm hopping out because I no longer have a place to stay, and there are no jobs in this town. I really like that Tupperware idea though, that's genius.

East

Reaction score
Yeah I feel that. I'm late on rent, still debating on heading down to the slabs. Just waiting for that eviction notice since I'm 17 days overdue and can't find a job that would let me keep up the payments I need to make here. This board is pretty great for ideas though. And hell, even though traveling doesn't sound all roses at least this place reminds me that it doesn't always have to be a shit fest. There's a lot of good ideas floating around, so props to @Matt Derrick definitely.

I'm kind of in the opposite scenario though with electronics. I have to deal with lugging around a full size aluminum MacBook which is not only heavy, but is probably way more difficult to protect with worse battery life. Hopefully I'll find a trade sometime between then and now. I'm still working online and making some money, the whole tablet with wireless would be perfect for travel. That and you can get solar chargers way cheaper for them ($35-$75 as opposed to $400)

I definitely want to stay connected on the streets, or back country, if I end up there. I'll just be damned if I let anyone know what I'm packin unless I trust them though.

Good luck'

Reactions: Pepin

Pepin

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is a WiFi only tablet, but at least as soon as I find a hotspot I can update my ahit, haha. I'm catching out in 14 days from now with my girl and I know she's gonna wanna bring her iPods (yes plural).

Excuse me I am rambling, I am exhausted.

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
I NEVER leave home without my Nexus 7... And my solar charger... Loaded with apps like GPS essentials, bike route planner, maps with me, and others that work offline... When I am walking its out like an iPod, all other times its in my back in the big inner compartment... I use a moko cover to protect it. Here it is on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4OKXPU/

Reactions: Tude and Pepin

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
For now double up two pieces of cardboard and use a couple of rubber bands to protect the screen with the cardboard. But I recommend putting a very soft clothe between the screen and the cardboard. Also, if you carry a sleeping bag (I never carry one, I carry a wooly) but you can roll of up in or sleeping bag or blanket...

• Useful
Reactions: Zoetica and Pepin

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
Cool cool... Yeah, I am partial to my N7 as well... Wish I was out there, I would hop out witcha ...your gunna shoot the middle headed west or coming down south for the winter?

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
Baton rouge... Well just west of baton rouge... Bout a 20 minite hitch to Livonia yard (UP/BNSF)...I been housed up most of this year but I really need to get some dirt time in... Wanna head back to grand junction for a lil bit of work... Make enough devil greens there in a month to last me 6 or 7 months, lol... Florida's nice this time of year to... Gulf coast side is my pref...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads