Hey there Guest! I (Matt Derrick) am looking to interview people of color (i.e. non-white) for my upcoming how-2 book for travelers. I'd like to get your opinions on traveling as a POC and inspire others from similar perspectives to join the StP community, so if you'd like to help, please email me at [email protected]!Dismiss Notice
Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?Dismiss Notice
This is a public website and while we encourage the free flow of information and ideas, we also ask that you follow a few basic rules. By viewing or participating on this website, you agree to the Rules of Conduct as stated below.
The details of each rule can be seen by clicking on it.
We encourage you to check back on this information from time to time, as we reserve the right to change it without notice.
- Racist slang terms
- Hateful comments based on skin color or background
- Religious bashing or intolerance
- Gay bashing (includes using the term 'gay' to describe something negative)
- Sexist or misogynistic material
- Victim blaming
- Faith-based prejudicial statements
- Derogatory remarks
- Poor taste jokes about these topics
Also, we are not interested in censoring a negative slur if it's used in the context of a civil discussion. For example, we all know the difference between using the word 'nigger' in a discussion, and using it as hate speech towards someone. The latter will not be tolerated.
Rules stated in sticky threads will always have the Read This First thread prefix attached to them. All other sticky threads are optional (but you should read them anyways!).
The above also applies if you post in the Road Dogs, Ride Board, and Crust Surfing areas and do not have an avatar and profile information filled out.
Purposely spamming the website with senseless, vacuous, or empty messages is highly frowned upon! This includes such things as party posts, chain letters, two-word "I agree" or "me too" responses, merely posting an icon, one word replies, bumping old topics, +1, "didn't read" or "old", continually posting the same topic or post, posting a topic with the same copied and pasted text across several boards and using the Quote feature without contributing anything new to a thread.
While you are allowed to post links to your own websites and promote your own projects, posting any pyramid schemes, free offers, money making ventures, or other for-profit or spam-like promotions will get you banned. Spam advertising via the Private Message system will result in immediate termination of your account.
If you are a commercial spammer, all attempts possible will be made to block you, ban your ip address, and contact your ISP. You are the scum of the earth, and there is a special place in hell for you.
If you need to change your account information such as birth date, user name, ecetera, please use the contact form. We'd rather edit your current account than have you create multiple accounts.
The following actions are taken against the user upon receiving each warning.
- First warning - there are no punishments for the first warning.
- Second warning - If a user breaks the rules a second time within 90 days of receiving their first warning, they will earn a second warning point. This warning will 'mute' their account. This means that the user will be able to view and read the website as normal, but will be unable to reply or post any content, including in the chat room and private messages. After thirty days, the user will be able to post and reply to content normally.
- Third warning - Upon receiving a third warning (within the 90 days of the first warning) the user will have their account permanently banned. Banned accounts cannot access any part of the website.
Warning Point Expiry Example
Just to make things clear, here's an example of how point expiry works.
- Jane violates the no hate speech rule, earning their account one warning point.
- Jane goes ninety (90) days without violating the rules, so their warning points expire. This essentially returns Jane to zero (0) warning points.
- If Jane was to break the rules again, they would again earn one point against their account, raising them from zero (0) points to one (1) point.
- Joe already has one warning point against their account for violating our don't be a dick rule.
- Joe continues being a dick for several days after the first incident, thus earning them another warning point from a moderator. Joe now has two (2) warning points against their account. His account is muted for 30 days.
- Realizing they need to chill the fuck out (or they'll get a third point = banned), Joe is a model community member for 90 days from the date they earned the first warning for being a dick. This reduces their warning points from two (2) to one (1). If Joe continues to behave, their warning points will reduce to zero (0) 90 days from the date of the second warning.
- Joe is good for a while, but can't seem to control themselves before the 90 days is up for their second offense (current warning points = 1). After posting some hate speech, a moderator issues another warning, bringing the total amount of warning points back up to two (2). Joe has now been muted for 30 days for the second time.