Worst/Dirtiest squat you ever squatted?

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just curious what horror stories might be out there.
my worst has to be this house I squatted in Seattle for a week.
before I could spread my bed roll out I had to shove a shitload of skivvies and rigs out of the way
the rest of the house had floors so rotten that you could see the dirt lower crawlspace through the spongy wood witch was the domain of the possums and raccoons
never had any human visitors though. all the camando junkies were long gone by the looks of there remains.

M

Monkeywrench

Filthy undies and dirty rigs are to be expected, no matter where you are. You just have to accept that if there's an emtpy room/house/trailer/hole-in-the-wall, some gross shit has probably gone down in it.

I had the pleasure of cracking a squat, which would later famously become known as "Poop Squat" in the 8th Ward of New Orleans. Originally only inhabited by 3 awesome kids and their dogs--but slowly overrun by kids who thought it would be OK to take shits and piss maybe 10 feet away from where we slept and ate.

Now, I understand and accept the dynamics of living rent-free and the social politics of squatter culture--but for fuck's sake.. there are some basic guidelines of sanitation that human beings (living in wilderness or city) have been adhering to since prehistory. YOU DO NOT POOP WHERE YOU SLEEP AND PREPARE FOOD. YOU WILL GET SICK.

Naturally, the 3 of us and a handful of others got sick from inhaling oogle shit. I got a wicked case Pharyngitis (which I've posted extensively about the horrors that come with having a bacterial infection of pharynx in New Orleans).

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yea dirty rigs and underwear is kind of a meme to me now someone says somethign about a nasty squat and I ask "like dirty rigs and underwear nasty? or just regular old nasty?"

M

Monkeywrench

I can remember when I first hit the road and finding rigs freaked me out. "Oh my god, this place is horrible! Someone needs to get ride of these!!".
Now they are almost a static part of the squat's decorum. "Ah, a couple rigs." *kick*

Garrnutz

Reaction score
most kids are dumb i mean they can easily pass highschool but cant get the basics of a roof over your head. this one place was just sheer death but everything was proped up to catch drunk squaters suprised there wasnt swinging paint cans and heated up door nobs. if i wasnt sober first going in there i would have been died.

ericafuckyea

Reaction score
avenue h in nyc. fucking nasty. its an old train servicing station with indented tracks down the center of the cement floor, these tracks became a trash pit that was full of dirty uncapped rigs, broken glass, etc. plus the whole place was fucking infested with monster lice.
the pink house in nola is a classic gross squat, saw it afew months ago and its pretty much unliveable at this point. i just stashed my pack in the closet cuz i figured no one would venture that far into it. i remember when the left side was the nice side, now it has no floor. the scabies matresses on the right side are a nice addition though, and i like how its been converted into a single filthy room via some weird barricade / psuedo wall thingie and the bathroom being completely compacted with trash.
another gross squat in nola, got named 'the mold squat' because of, you guessed it, inordinate ammounts of black mold everywhere. fun! you had to crawl in through this scary ass basement, through a rotted out hole in the kitchen floor, and step up into the first room. there were three relatively intact rooms but only the farthest one back was liveable, and thats only after someone put a tarp down on the floor. lived in that room for a month before my ex broke down the bathroom wall so we could see the other side, which happened to be a perfectly pristine unfurnished apartment, lol.
some squat in portland. it was an apartment complex with three apts but only the uppermost one was accessible. was nice at first until someone filled the toilet past the brim with shit and then proceeded to fill half the bathtub as well. used tampons too. what the fuck? theyre called public bathrooms. use them. at the very least shit in a bag and throw it away.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
There used to be an abandoned housing complex in Atlanta where people at least had the sense to make the apartment across the hall into the bathroom, so I guess it was better than some places I've stayed. What was really gross about it was that the whole apartment was crawling with maggots yet for some reason people continued to use it. Yeah. public bathrooms, people. Or put some sawdust on top to get rid of the smell and prevent bugs from getting in. It's really not that hard to do.

Then there was the rat colony in Portland. This squat has since burned down but used to have so many rats that they would crawl over you while you were sleeping. One morning I woke up early and there was a huge puddle of vomit on the ground. There were literally well over a dozen rats lined up around the puddle lapping it up like it was a delicacy. I wish I had a photo of that.

I also stayed at a place where I rolled over onto a used needle that got stuck in my calf. I hadn't seen it the night before when I came in w/o a flashlight. I waited for about a year after that to get tested and was extremely relieved to come up negative for everything.

• Sad
Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

venusinpisces

Reaction score
To clarify: I meant use a bucket and put sawdust on top. That way it can be disposed of later. There's really no reason to ever destroy an apartment like that. This is what landlords use as a reason to evict squatters so don't give them a reason.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
To clarify: I meant use a bucket and put sawdust on top. That way it can be disposed of later. There's really no reason to ever destroy an apartment like that. This is what landlords use as a reason to evict squatters so don't give them a reason.
Some wood ashes in that bucket will do some amazing results for the smell and the maggots.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Yeah, but I figured most people wouldn't have ashes since this thread is mostly about urban squatting. That's a good point, though. Wood ashes are also good for nixtamalizing corn, a process that helps the body to absorb vitamins more efficiently. From what l understand, all you have to do is add the well-sifted ashes to your cooking water. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list of things to do since I absolutely adore corn grits.

Anyways, here we go with food again, even though the subject matter in this thread should really dissuade any reasonable person from discussing such matters.

dgsch

Reaction score
Last winter in Seattle when I couldn't find a couch to spare a friend and I resorted to a place we heard about months before. Some old storefront on Rainier Ave that was filled to the brim with appliances, tools and furniture, like the owner just keep stashing his shit there for later and then just left it to rot for twenty years. The usual shit everywhere but we had to come early to get to our space you'd have to climb over the other people's beds, one old homebum got really pissed when we passed him and we had to leave after he shit all over our spot...

Hah, fuckin' Rainier Ave. *shakes head*

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
nolashitsquat1.jpg

I don't know why we picked that house and stayed for so long.

Reactions: Stinkyyy

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
me n my girl are currently stayin in a house from the 70's no windows, no doors, the roof leaks all over the place, my girlfriend fell through the floor but luckily it was only 3 feet to the dirt basement floor. there are only two rooms in the house that dont leak and ours is one of them. there's birds and mice in it too. but they dont bother us. fuckin trash everywhere piss and shit too. but not in our room. hahaha....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads