Starting a collective

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
We all been busy this summer fuckin off at the river and hangin with some of our traveler friends whom have passed thru. We got a couple a more solar panels but have been reverting to using the geni for A/C on the most heat intensive evenings before bed time. Gained another full timer here whom is building a tiny house onsite.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Update: moderate fail at aqua-ponics we started to many projects and had to bench that one for now. Built some pvc adjustable solar panel frames instead and have been modding vehicles for rubber tramping for three of our guests we modded a 95 metro for jake by removing the back seat and passenger seat and building a collapsible flat deck inside of it for a sleeping space out of ply wood and while we had the modding bug we put a 7'' raised deck with internal storage space inside Mopar's 90's chrysler minivan along with curtains and a gun rack to hold Mopar's staff collection. Working on Phil's 95 gmc van now we had to do some rewiring. inside it has a reclining couch bed that was not working due to shorted wires got those fixed and rewired the old tv center to hold a deepcycle battery and a 750 watt inverter instead Also added some curtains and plywood drawers for under seat storage. We are going to be sad when everyone takes off. Jake left yesterday on his first rubber tramp. Mopar is leaving any day now and Phil is gone in 3 weeks. We are shutting down for most of September and doing a little traveling our selves but it will be sad coming back to no one onsite in October. Well that's all I got for now.
G'Luck All

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
sweet man, glad to hear there's cool stuff going on there! can't wait to see it in person myself!

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Hello all
We got back onsite a few days ago. Seen our friend Phil off on his adventure. And now down to just Anna and myself plus animals. Phil let the dogs tear everything up while we were gone so i've been doing a lot of clean up they ate a couch and all kinds of other stuff its very frustrating picking up pieces of foam the size of dimes everywhere the wind and dogs left it. Updated and upgraded our solar array with new wiring and a new 30 amp charge controller and 100 watt panel we should be geni free from now on with a little moderation in power use. Also hauled back my weight set from my parents and setup an indoor gym in what was Phil's camper. While Mopar was here he had a weight set and shamed me with his 63yr old physical prowess. I could not keep up with him and am determined to increase my stamina and strength before I see him at the Slabs in January.

Reactions: ByronMc

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Also we are tentatively looking for a person group or couple to winter onsite. If in possession of transportation local jobs are available within 30 miles. Anyone coming onsite would be required to support themselves we are open minded about how you support yourself. Each and every situation and person is unique and would be judged thusly.

robbaked

Reaction score
New update: Aquaponics has been started{anyone got experience with it we need help}. Also our friend Mopar {The Wizard} has arrived onsite for a few days of visiting on his way from the nationals in Montana to N.Carolina.
Sounds like you're doing exactly what i'd like to do. My girlfriend and i have been involved with the Wwoofing program all summer and have worked at farms in nh, pa and tn. Now we are looking to purchase property for ourselves and become fully self-sustaining. We are off to Eugene to work on a guy's property in a week, but would love to swing by some time in the future and see how you are doing things. One of the projects we want to start in the next year is growing hops and brewing our own beer. Cheers.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Cool Robbaked woofing is a good way to build skills and knowledge and see what works for other people we kinda woofed for like 5 months and it really helped a lot. I am currently working on my neighbors goat farm for the knowledge and I am being paid in live goats that we are raising with their herds. We are always open to visitors and whatnot we are heading into the downside of the work year and boring part but always appreciate new experiences.

travelin

Reaction score
im about to physically move onto my place. had enough of driving over there every day.

got 570 watts of solar and 450 amp/hours of battery(4 Trojan t 105 three months old) and two 3.5kw generators.

got little wood heater but not sure how to deploy it in this travel trailer.

very excited about it, will be able to burn brush piles up into the night, sit out and watch the stars and get much earlier starts on the days.

here we can work almost every day through the winter since it is so mild comparatively.

like seeing your updates, keep em coming.

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Venison is delicious. I was gifted some about 4lbs. Last nite we had a venison stew and today i stuffed garlic and herbs into a roast and am currently preparing it. I am sitting here surrounded by the aroma of it and can't wait to eat. I also cant wait to harvest a nice older doe. I have allowed a few young bucks and does to walk past since the season started. I almost took a 12 point buck the other day but he was much to fine of an animal to take. I hope he lives a few more years so he can spread his good genetics around locally. While I am a hunter I am often disgusted at the wastefulness engendered by trophy rack hunters. I have already found two wasted carcasses improperly butchered and than discarded on the back side of my property both of em had at least 40lbs of useable meat left on them. People are often so lazy and wasteful it is frustrating. On the topic of local animals a black bear was photo graphed less than a mile behind my home site I am enthused by it but my neighbors are all worried for their livestock. I cant blame them but I hope to encounter it in a passive situation I have always been fond of bears they remind me of myself at times.

travelin

Reaction score
I am not on the farm yet. am currently held up by engine problems with my one ton so I cant pull the trailer over there. bad diesel from local station. got a bunch of us and we are probably going to all sue the station owner.

so far im out about 400 bucks and the truck isn't running yet. its looking like a thousand dollar part will have to be replaced.

at least I didn't fuel the massey and the backhoe with the bad fuel!

got a good start on clearing what we are calling "the triangle" a section of growth between the well and the current main field.

got bush stacked out in the field to burn and then spread the ash and hopefully this will all be ready to plant by late January.

so we are working on it!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads