Starting a collective | Page 5 | Squat the Planet

Starting a collective

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Sorry for the huge gap in updating but we had a lotta of bs to get done to winterize and had no internet for the last few weeks. Well we are still here its been cold and I failed at getting my furnace working. I am hoping that I finally got it fixed I had to recondition every part on this damn thing and when I tried to buy parts for it I got laughed at cus its 40 years old. We live in such a money orientated society every where I contacted trying to get parts was just like o buy a new one or pay us like 500 bucks to repair it for you. I think its all good now I am waiting on my camp mate to get off work so we can test run it tonight. I like to have another person around when I do things that are potentially hazardous or dangerous.
On another note my friend phil came out to stay from the slabs for awhile with us. We got him a job at a factory in the town 20 miles away. My neighbors dad is his boss so thats working out good for him so far. They only do a mouth swab drug test so that was cool. He only had to stop smoking for like 5 days. Since he has been here we were able to tackle some of my bigger projects [the stuff I couldn't do by myself] and he has been taking pictures which i will be posting later. Wish I knew about tanning hides we had a few deer hides and I found a whole coyote that my dogs killed [I think] local people have been tossing deer carcasses into my woods all through out deer season [its pissing me off big time] and my dogs keep dragging em back into our yard. I've had dispose of whats left and a rotting carcasses is no fun to handle. Unfortunately my road is a forest service access road to a state managed forest that is very secluded so people discard of their deer carcasses out here cus they can get away with it.
We also will be heading out to slab city after the first of january for two weeks to visit East Jesus and our friends at the slabs. Any one that s gonna be out there in the early part of january hit us up we'll hang. cant offer a ride to anyone cus we are going four deep in a metro plus two dogs i will try to update more often after we get back from our trips

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Well once again big gap in updating. We are still here been fighting the elements for awhile but starting to get on the upper hand of em. My furnace reconditioning failed. I took some ones advice and got a buddy heater its awesome. Just got a new on demand hot water heater delivered from amazon today gonna install it tomorrow. I haven't had a hot shower since January 14th when I got back from the slabs and found my water heater had frozen and broke while we were gone. Also we have 8 new puppies from my female lab and the male pointer we rescued back in November. My nice field turned into a river what with all the snow melt and rain. That has been a major hassle and has caused me to rethink my plans for construction on this site. Have been looking at a much bigger piece of property up the road from me that has a spring and a cave on it. May be moving up the road the landowner that I am buying from also owns that one and would let me over to it with no problems.

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
HOT SHOWERS ROCK!! Just took my first hot shower via my $100 on demand hot water heater. I got it and its component pieces off of amazon for a total cost of $200 that included a 2.3 gpm 12 volt pump a debris filter and 30ft of hose. I am becoming enamored with online shopping. Living so far from towns it would have cost me an additional $40 in fuel to travel to town and an additional $40 in price difference had I bought the stuff from local sources.

p4r4d0x

Reaction score
That's good man, congratulations on your accomplishments.
I know exactly how exhilarating a warm shower can be after months of cold weather and little to no warm water and heat.

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
We have been thinking about having a work week this summer. We would feed and supply awesome camping sites at a remote riverside campground on my road for any one that wanted to come help out. Also we would have an end of the week goat roast and party. Not that every night wont be a party but a particularly good one at the end. We are particularly interested in musicians to entertain at night. Any suggestions or volunteers please comment.

Reactions: ByronMc

p4r4d0x

Reaction score
We have been thinking about having a work week this summer. We would feed and supply awesome camping sites at a remote riverside campground on my road for any one that wanted to come help out. Also we would have an end of the week goat roast and party. Not that every night wont be a party but a particularly good one at the end. We are particularly interested in musicians to entertain at night. Any suggestions or volunteers please comment.
Real cool.
I may have a Workamping position in that area, so maybe I could stop by in my free time and help out a little.
Never had roasted goat before.

Dmac

Reaction score
sounds like a plan! what work do you hope to get gone at this work party? and what is the chance for a float trip on the river?

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
As far as work goes it will be mostly sand bagging for some structural support around greenhouses and livestock pens. I am wanting to do four foot retaining walls around the structures to give them some weight maybe pour some concrete footers it will all depend on how much material I have stockpiled by then.We are thinking that we would only work between breakfast and lunch each day and than do activities till dinner and hopefully end the nights with music and campfires. As for entertainments there will be hiking,fishing, cave exploration, and rafting. All of which are centered around the campsites. We are also wanting to do some homesteader basic courses ie canning,weaving,knitting,animal husbandry, alternative power, gun usage/maintenance and other related things to living off grid. We are trying to get some bands that we know to come out. Thinking it wont be until late August or early September as it will be better camping weather here, warm enough to swim during the day but cool enough to sleep at night. If anyone has any skills they want to share or teach that would be appreciated. Once again any comments or suggestions are welcome

Reactions: p4r4d0x

DregeDE

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ok travlin had mentioned this to me a while ago, I just searched "motorhome" and here I am.
I got a 30 foot class A and might be hitting the road, in it soon - if I did I'd probably go to seattle to utilize family for help with parking and maybe a little funding biggest problem it has is a carb/fuel // longevity running and driving problem and 14 year old cracking tires.
BUT if I had it able to cross the rockies and had an invite I'd be there just as soon as I could gas jug this behemoth across the country.
As for my abilities I am determined and handy with nearly any tool, I consider myself quite inventive and resourceful. I can fix anything that aint welded together (seeing as I have no welding Exp but more importantly a welder)
I'm not a musician but I appreciate most music (except jugglo music)
As for heating I want a pot bellied stove in my RV, Also might have my 4.5 year old daughter with me. Mother and I may split, its up in the air right now, but thats why I'm searching "motorhome"

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Had a good visit with a friend who came out and stayed for a week. We got some work done, we started a lean to shelter out of logs and put in a gravel pathway from the drive way up to the camp. Makes it a lot nicer during raining/wet conditions and at night. Our dog pack 10 strong now wont leave my solar lights in the ground, they have eaten 30 solar lights since last summer. They leave me some parts of em mostly they're no good parts but I have been able to salvage a few. The river is getting nice went in for the first time this year the other day it was 80 out, but the water was still only like 55 needless to say it was a exhilarating and brief experience. All of the woodland creatures are really starting to stir in our woods. I have been watching the rabbits and squirrels as well as what appears to be a soon to be explosion of frogs in my pond if the numberless tadpoles in there is any indication.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your set up sounds like a great place to stop by. I'm in the mind set to start cross country biking when I ditch the mainstream...when I do I will head due south first with visits in kansas and oklahoma I'm thinking.
I'll hit you up to visit the place if its okay at that time.
Might be a while... but if your still there and welcoming guests... this pilgrim would appreciate your hospices.
I'm a hardworking individual who doesn't mind putting in a full days elbow grease.
I like to have a bottle of suds, don't mind a smoke and like to cook... Relaxing in the evenings... only drawback is my hammy humor... >.>

Really glad to hear you were able to save skeletor.

And right on for accomplishing what you have. Keep going strong.

Peace

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Summer is here and we have been really busy. Added another rv to my rv fort. Now I have four rvs on site with indoor sleeping space for 16 people which we put to the test having twelve people onsite last month. Unfortunately we didn't get much work done in that time having been blessed with great weather and excellent outdoor activities nearby. So we drank smoked and partied at the river for most of May. Our friends Marty and Jake hitch hiked here one from Slab city and the other from western Tennessee. Marty continued on to the U P last week but Jake is gonna hang for awhile. I had my parents in for two weeks and my wife had hers come in as well for a week or so. My parents donated a rv and a generator to us. Both are much appreciated we had been down to solar only, our other generator had seized up after almost 3500 hours of use over 3 years.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
We saved some money by not having internet or generators in use for 2 months so was able to buy more solar panels and batteries. Which is also my explanation for not updating I really do plan on posting pictures

Fuck yeah man, I'm still keeping you in mind next time I'm in that area.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads