Fixed blade yes/no? | Squat the Planet

Fixed blade yes/no?

E

Endy

Do you carry a fixed blade knife? Where? Why? I'm considering carrying one in my bag since I do try and camp in the woods and other wilderness areas.

D

Deleted member 20

I have carried one in the past but mostly on my belt. I dont like the idea of an edged weapon or any weapon not being on your persons & easily accessible. If you are gonna travel where you get harrassed & searched often than keep it legal. Its easy to keep an oversized knife in a pack that may/may not be chargeable since its stored & not found technically on you. Its a double edged sword (no pun).
If you are doin wilderness type camping than sure. I always carry legal length tactical folders in the $20-$25 range. Mid range mass produced, sharp & strong decent knives. Not saying a $5 cheapo wont be good for 50% of stuff. Knife fighting, not being one them. Strong enough to last but cheap enough to not make you cry if lost or seized by police.

Last edited:
E

Endy

I carry a pretty beefy folder for everyday tasks but for batoning firewood or dressing small game etc its not so good. my fixed blade is a $25 piece if carbon steel 7" thanks for input

D

Deleted member 20

Oh well if its just for camping/wilderness than you are good I guess. I cant see much of an practical use while traveling with a blade that large tho. They cause way more issues than they are worth.

T

Tick Dickler

dude fuck folders. get a full tang fixed blade full body running through the handle whatever you wanna call it.

if you like setting up a camp, splitting tinder all that, get a fixed blade. if you only use your knife a few times a day get a folder.

folders are also fucking dangerous if you try to do heavy wood work. if it breaks chances are it breaks your hand to. take it from someone who´s been there.

some people will try and defend folders telling you that they are better, can do the same things, and are more practical. i have folders and fixed blades, and im telling you this from a neutral perspective.

if you plan light woodwork, carving, maybe skinning small game, get a MORA. they sail through wood, easy to sharpen, super cheap. might break if you baton with it.

if your´e gonna chop up stuff, split wood, baton, cut down branches, chop small trees, use it for everything, and dont wanna baby it, get some thing like an ESEE. expensive, but will not break. even if you really dont give a shit, throw it around, stab the concrete, use it as a door spike, it doesnt matter. just send it in when youre done with it, and they´l send you a new one. no questions asked warranty. imo it pays for itself after a few years. i still havent broken one, and i abuse the fuck out of my knives.

DO NOT GET SOMETHING LIKE THIS:
KN-BK-UC2735_Black_Low_Profile_Covert_Undercover_Tactical_Tanto_Boot_Knife_01.jpg

it looks cool, but doesnt do anything else than stabbing people.
folders are good, just not for the road.

tell me more specific what youre gonna use it for and ill try to recomend something.

E

Endy

Thanks for the replies everyone. Mostly general camp work. I do a lot of stealth camping but now and then I set up an actual camp if I can acquire a permit and may stay there for a week or two. In that case I need something to deal with cutting wood, whittling and possibly dressing game if I happen to catch it. I don't do much trapping anymore though.

D

Deleted member 20

Knives are varied & can be specialized tools for specific tasks like filleting, cutting rope/cordage, skinning, combat etc. Fixed blades are great for a camping trip. Folding knives are perfect for everyday carry & for many unforseen uses!

That being said. If you ever plan to hitchhike, hop trains, trespass, spange, loiter, busk, drink in public jay walk or otherwise get on the radar of law enforcement than "DO NOT" carry any large fixed blade over the legal length here in the US. It just aint worth it given the context of STP & how most exist & what we do. If you are doing any of the above & much more the police can & will search you & harass you for little to nothing. I wont say I agree with this practice but it is common. I assumed since I didn't first notice the wilderness comment when first posted that travel may be involved.

If you are planning to use the knife for self defense than again KISS (keep it simple stupid). Large survival knives do little except cause further criminal charges & harassment where as a small even slightly over lengtg tactical folder is viewed as a pocket knife. Its hard to conceal & even more illegal at times if found hidden on your body. That leaves storing it in your pack, thus not easily available everytime you need a blade. Both will cause self inflicted injury in actual combat so not real practical to the untrained. Since I always wear shorts or pants with pockets everyday I always have a knife clipped on on me when out of the house. Its an all around legal tool that even boy scouts carry. Only Rambo, Crocodile Dundee & b-movie horror movie characters carry large fixed blades while traveling.

There are some really nice legal length fixed blades but they aren't that common.

Side note:
To dispute young Tick Dickler again. Who isn't even old enough to legally, buy, own or sell any knife in the US; Save New Hampshire.
"it looks cool, but doesnt do anything else than stabbing people.
folders are good, just not for the road".

YOU ARE FLAT FUCKING WRONG about Folding Knives "just not for the road"!!! WTF?

Those 2 brand names are great knives but definately isnt practical for traveling. Esse blades are super expensive & often way past legal carry length. No one wants to loose $80-$200+ on a knife just to have a cop pocket it or bag it as evidence & add it to some criminal charges.

I do like those inexpensive mora knives though especially for carving soap , lol.

Just don't try to sell yourself as an expert in traveling if you haven't even started yet!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

My comments were supporting the use of the right tool for the right job in various environments. Some inexperienced users will read this thread regardless of the multiple knife threads & miss as I did; the part about camping.

I don't support armchair online experts preaching as experienced travelers without ever leaving their parents house yet.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on specific small folders? Have a little extra money at the moment. think ill ditch the fixed since ill be heading through urban areas next trip

D

Deleted member 20

I have had decent gerber, crkt, benchmade, smith & wesson, spyderco or even many of the made in china cheaper brands sold at knife kiosks, flea markets or outdoor stores.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

You can pay hundreds on some models as well. But if you can find a quality made, name brand or knockoff from china in that $20-$25 range. You are good providing its well made of quality materials, hardware & techniques.

T

Tick Dickler

Knives are varied & can be specialized tools for specific tasks like filleting, cutting rope/cordage, skinning, combat etc. Fixed blades are great for a camping trip. Folding knives are perfect for everyday carry & for many unforseen uses!

That being said. If you ever plan to hitchhike, hop trains, trespass, spange, loiter, busk, drink in public jay walk or otherwise get on the radar of law enforcement than "DO NOT" carry any large fixed blade over the legal length here in the US. It just aint worth it given the context of STP & how most exist & what we do. If you are doing any of the above & much more the police can & will search you & harass you for little to nothing. I wont say I agree with this practice but it is common. I assumed since I didn't first notice the wilderness comment when first posted that travel may be involved.

If you are planning to use the knife for self defense than again KISS (keep it simple stupid). Large survival knives do little except cause further criminal charges & harassment where as a small even slightly over lengtg tactical folder is viewed as a pocket knife. Its hard to conceal & even more illegal at times if found hidden on your body. That leaves storing it in your pack, thus not easily available everytime you need a blade. Both will cause self inflicted injury in actual combat so not real practical to the untrained. Since I always wear shorts or pants with pockets everyday I always have a knife clipped on on me when out of the house. Its an all around legal tool that even boy scouts carry. Only Rambo, Crocodile Dundee & b-movie horror movie characters carry large fixed blades while traveling.

There are some really nice legal length fixed blades but they aren't that common.

Side note:
To dispute young Tick Dickler again. Who isn't even old enough to legally, buy, own or sell any knife in the US; Save New Hampshire.
"it looks cool, but doesnt do anything else than stabbing people.
folders are good, just not for the road".

YOU ARE FLAT FUCKING WRONG about Folding Knives "just not for the road"!!! WTF?

Those 2 brand names are great knives but definately isnt practical for traveling. Esse blades are super expensive & often way past legal carry length. No one wants to loose $80-$200+ on a knife just to have a cop pocket it or bag it as evidence & add it to some criminal charges.

I do like those inexpensive mora knives though especially for carving soap , lol.

Just don't try to sell yourself as an expert in traveling if you haven't even started yet!

"it looks cool, but doesnt do anything else than stabbing people."
I was talking about the tactical knife in the picture.

hmm it seems cops are way more strict on knifes in the us. i dont even see a knife as a weapon, simply a tool. people will kill each other no matter what.

and yes, folding knifes break easier, are a bit harder to sharpen, are more dangerous, and require 10x care. you dont have to lube a fixed blade or anything, just make sure it doesnt rust.

My comments were supporting the use of the right tool for the right job in various environments. Some inexperienced users will read this thread regardless of the multiple knife threads & miss as I did; the part about camping.

I don't support armchair online experts preaching as experienced travelers without ever leaving their parents house yet.

im pretty experienced with knives actually. i dont claim to be an expert.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Mostly general camp work. I do a lot of stealth camping but now and then I set up an actual camp if I can acquire a permit and may stay there for a week or two. In that case I need something to deal with cutting wood, whittling and possibly dressing game if I happen to catch it. I don't do much trapping anymore though.

doesnt sound like you need anything to complicated.

Any suggestions on specific small folders? Have a little extra money at the moment. think ill ditch the fixed since ill be heading through urban areas next trip

sounds like the best thing for you would be a 3 inch scandi grind then. get stainless steel. you wont need one of those super though metals.

update: it seems that scandi folders are nearly non excistent in the us for some reason?

how about this: http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/RC...-frn-and-stainless-steel-handles-kc-exclusive

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/GB...in-Edge-Assisted-Opening-Folder-w-Pocket-Clip
be care full with gerber they make shitty and amazing blades at the same time.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/KA...Hunter-3-inch-Black-Plain-Blade-Foliage-Green

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/ON...36-inch-Satin-Plain-Blade-Black-Nylon-Handles

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/KS...d-3-34-inch-Stonewash-Combo-Blade-G10-Handles

if youre planing on using it for defence purposes to, do this if possible:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

Fair enough i thought you said & meant folding knives were not good for travel.

Many differences from 3-4"-5.5""" blade length for folder/fixed & different in all 50 states. Most common is in the 3.5" range. Each state has its own laws & differing lengths, if they can be concealed or openly carried.. Some states its illegal to conceal. The laws are confusing & differing state to state & can be a misdemeanor or felony depending on where you are & the details how carried.

Most often knives will get confiscated without paperwork & charge being benneficial to criminal cases. Other times they try to stick that extra charge of a knife to try to screw you into a worse plea bargain & more time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

So Tick Dickler did you not write this? "folders are good, just not for the road" & then post a pic of that fixed blade?

It seems that this post & others you have posted are riddled with holes, untested experiences & or bad advice.. I am not trying to dissuade you from participating but your statements at times sound so confident yet so wrong. I routinely find myself calling you out. Why?

Have you traveled before? If so What methods? & Where?

What are folders good for?

What are the best knives for the road?

Last edited:
Went with a Volt 2 and the SAK Huntsmen. Under 3'' length and they don't look like they were meant to eviscerate people. Hopefully I don't get too much shit from the man. Even if I do they were fairly cheap. Thanks again for your input guys/gals.

D

Deleted member 20

Went with a Volt 2 and the SAK Huntsmen. Under 3'' length and they don't look like they were meant to eviscerate people. Hopefully I don't get too much shit from the man. Even if I do they were fairly cheap. Thanks again for your input guys/gals.
Wow a swiss army knife too. Brings back childhood memories before leatherman's. Both the Kershaw & vicky are good choices if not expensive. I loose a few knives a year so its too rich for me. I just lost a nice US Marines novelty knife to the police last week. Had to ditch another knife around xmas. Both knives were used very little but worn often. Many times I had the knife at the ready in my pocket waiting to get jumped, assaulted & or robbed by groups of thugs.

T

Tick Dickler

So Tick Dickler did you not write this? "folders are good, just not for the road" & then post a pic of that fixed blade?

god damn im getting confused.

when i said "it looks cool, but doesnt do anything else than stabbing people." i was refering to the image of a fixed tactical blade.

when i said "folders are good, just not for the road" i was refering to how i earlier said that folders arent good if youre using them really hard.

It seems that this post & others you have posted are riddled with holes, untested experiences & or bad advice.. I am not trying to dissuade you from participating but your statements at times sound so confident yet so wrong. I routinely find myself calling you out. Why?

maybe im not to good in english, i dont know?

Have you traveled before? If so What methods? & Where?

ive been to almost all the countries in europe, NY once, allot in norway and a bunch in scandinavia.
ive hitched, walked, climbed, skated + longboarded allot, biked, ski´d, sailed, rafted, bus hopped, basicly everything there is execept train hopping. ive been a bunch around trains though.

What are folders good for?

small everyday tasks like cutting boxes open, cut stuff that need to be cut. there are heavy duty folders, but they are fucking expensive.
you shouldnt cut cardboard though, it dulls your knife allot.

What are the best knives for the road?

depends on what youre using them for.[/quote]

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads