DIY Polyurethane foam winter clothing

Dishka8643

Reaction score
So I thought this was pretty neat. It's a basic guide on how to make a full set of winter clothing out of "super soft" poly foam sheets. Following the basic principals outlined in this article, you can make everything from pants, parka, mittens, mukluks, hat, and sleeping bag. The foam material is cheap, light, breathable, and will dry quickly when wet.

Here's a link to the article:
MAKE YOUR OWN COLD-WEATHER CLOTHING

You can usually find this at Bed stores, but occasionally carpet stores and furniture stores will sell it as well.

online distributer with prices and PICS

Foam Factory - Super Soft Foam

Snapshot of how it works:

Moisture inside the clothing, whether produced by the body, from perspiration, or entering from the outside environment (blowing snow, sleet, falling into water) is moved out of the clothing by the process of Moisture Vapor Transfer (MVT). Because MVT is so efficient with foam clothing, if the garment gets wet, you do not need to take it off to dry it out. Wear the clothing and your body heat alone will be enough to dry it off. For this to work you must not be wearing any waterproof layers, shells or outer garments as waterproofing will trap moisture; even the so called "waterproof, breathable" fabrics don't breath well enough to do the job.

This technology has been introduced to all branches of the U.S. Military and cold weather explorers who live and work in extreme cold. Jim Phillips introduced this technology and training to the Iditarod mushers in Alaska, where it has been used by the winners. Jim's clothing has been worn at the North Pole, South Pole, and many places in between. It was selected and worn by Apollo 13 Astronaut, James A. Lovell on his North Pole expedition.

Ice water plunge wearing foam suit:

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Great links!
How would this stuff work out for DIY boot liners?
I had frost bite on my toes once before, so my feet are my #1 cold weather concern

Dishka8643

Reaction score
yeah dude, foam make great boot liners. I made a pair to wear to bed inside my sleeping bag. The simplest method is to cut a circle about 2 feet in diameter, fold it around your foot, then stuff it into an oversized rubber boot. Rubber boots don't breathe, so you would have to mindful of perspiration, though.

A better alternative would be to use Mukluks. Mukluks can be made by taking a cheap rubber boot, cutting it off at the ankle, then sewing a replacement top section made of strong, breathable fabric. Seal the seams up with shoegoo and you are good. Then just use the foam liner on the inside. The guy who invented this system of clothing, Jim Phillips, has tested these techniques in temps close to negative -60 deg. F. The Inuit use a similar clothing system, just made of natural materials.

Reactions: benje

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads