1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat made of 2 liter bottles

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by hobopoe, Jan 16, 2014.

1. hobopoe

hobopoe is getting to know the place

Spanger, model, or Seasonal worker.
    Current Location:
    Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +26 / -2
    Not exactly the most detailed picture. But gotta make this happen hah. It isn't like there is a shortage of 2 liters or empty bottles.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    :
  2. Tick Dickler

Tick Dickler I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    ive something simmilar to this, but with big blue plastic jugs/containers? i dont remember that well, long time ago. worked well, till i lost my oar and drifted away to a small islad, lol. i was like 6-7 yrs old. some old guy passed me and tied it to his boat. he offered me to sit in the boat with him but i wanted to sit on the raft instead. he was a cool guy so he sped up. you should have seen my moms face when i came home hauling a plastic raft dragged by some old dude.
    man, those were the good days...

huh, you can change the text color?

3. Cardboard

Cardboard Celebrated Poster

Current Location:
    Everywhere, All the time.
    Ratings:
    +329 / -1
    Do a google for Richard Sowa, or Spiral Island... This guy took this concept to an extreme. (just noticed that matt has a thread about him, coming number one of the similar threads under this one)
    I spent some time building boats, and can tell you this plastic bottle thing is super easy, but also really temporary. The elements will wear out a plastic boat like this in a few months. Even using big 200 litre blue barrels, you should calculate a 6 month life to be safe.
    Also a really good thing to know (if you dont already), is Archimedes' principle, short version is that buoyancy is about displacement, and in constructing your boat, you can know that 1 litre of water (its cool, cause its the base measure for all volume) is equal to 1 kilo of buoyancy. A two litre bottle 2 kilos, and so on. So if you make a boat from 500 2 litre bottles, you can effectively float one metric ton (at the surface level of the water. You could safely float, say, 800 kilos, on a calm lake.)