1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I've started a poll to see if folks would be interested in an StP how-2 travel book. Click here to cast your vote and post your suggestions. Your input is very much appreciated!
  3. Hey folks! Check out this thread of updates to the StP website. There's tons of interesting stuff!

Boat made of 2 liter bottles

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by hobopoe, Jan 16, 2014.

1. hobopoe

hobopoe is getting to know the place

Spanger, model, or Seasonal worker.
    Current Location:
    Wisconsin
    Home page:
    Ratings:
    +18 / -2
    Not exactly the most detailed picture. But gotta make this happen hah. It isn't like there is a shortage of 2 liters or empty bottles.

Attached Files:

2. Tick Dickler

Tick Dickler Hungry for Knowledge

looking for eu travel bro
    Current Location:
    stuck in norway. fuck.
    Ratings:
    +71 / -16
    ive something simmilar to this, but with big blue plastic jugs/containers? i dont remember that well, long time ago. worked well, till i lost my oar and drifted away to a small islad, lol. i was like 6-7 yrs old. some old guy passed me and tied it to his boat. he offered me to sit in the boat with him but i wanted to sit on the raft instead. he was a cool guy so he sped up. you should have seen my moms face when i came home hauling a plastic raft dragged by some old dude.
    man, those were the good days...

huh, you can change the text color?
  3. Cardboard

Cardboard Celebrated Poster

Current Location:
    Everywhere, All the time.
    Ratings:
    +311 / -0
    Do a google for Richard Sowa, or Spiral Island... This guy took this concept to an extreme. (just noticed that matt has a thread about him, coming number one of the similar threads under this one)
    I spent some time building boats, and can tell you this plastic bottle thing is super easy, but also really temporary. The elements will wear out a plastic boat like this in a few months. Even using big 200 litre blue barrels, you should calculate a 6 month life to be safe.
    Also a really good thing to know (if you dont already), is Archimedes' principle, short version is that buoyancy is about displacement, and in constructing your boat, you can know that 1 litre of water (its cool, cause its the base measure for all volume) is equal to 1 kilo of buoyancy. A two litre bottle 2 kilos, and so on. So if you make a boat from 500 2 litre bottles, you can effectively float one metric ton (at the surface level of the water. You could safely float, say, 800 kilos, on a calm lake.)