1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Cities for Flying Signs

Discussion in 'Panhandling' started by Hobo Huck, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Hobo Huck

Hobo Huck Hungry for Knowledge

Vagabond
    Current Location:
    Cali
    Ratings:
    +79 / -4
    Where's some of the best places you guys like to fly signs?

My personal favorite is the interstate exit in Barstow California during the summer...hot as hell, but on a Saturday it's an eeeeaaassssyyyy 150 bucks in 2 hours. I have to admit the cops are nazi about signs...

My favorite "cop-friendly" place to fly a sign was Kennewick Washington...I only made 50 bucks but every cop that passed me just gave me a friendly wave or a smile...I flew a sign for 3 days there and at least 50 cops passed me with no problems.

:
  2. wehavethemap

wehavethemap I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    this is how spots get blowd up yall

• Like Like x 3
  3. Hobo Huck

Vagabond
    Current Location:
    Cali
    Ratings:
    +79 / -4
    No more than the next place...everywhere gets hot, then cools down, then gets hot again. San Diego is a good example of that

4. wehavethemap

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    It's never a good idea to tell everyone where to fly at, just go where you see some traffic flow man

5. Pheonix

Pheonix I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I don't understand why everyone thinks panhandling spots are some big secret.

Exit 4 on I-74 in Indiana near Illinois border
    On 9/10/2001 during a hitching trip with my dog I had such a great time flying a sign both on the ramp and at the exit of the truck stop that I thought about keeping a mental note of this stop so I can come back. While I was shopping inside I found this book called Exitsource and started flipping through, and holy shit it's a resource book that lists what businesses are located near a exit ramp of any major interstate. I thought this would be a great way for me to keep track of good and bad locations throughout my travels and I bought it, Worth the outrageous price. The next day I woke up at a HUGE truck stop in Indianapolis and thought I did a wonderful job making it to someplace that looked good in Exitsource. This turned out to be my number 1 most hated truck stop even though it had such great potential it was horrible panhandling spot and a horrible hitching spot. However it might not have been due to the location, maybe I made money at one truck stop cause I had a dog with me and maybe nobody could spare any change at the other truck stop cause gas prices doubled in about an hour.

When I got fired from Taco Bell in 2008 I didn't care cause I knew I could make alot more money as a professional bum. I bought a road atlas at Walmart and noticed they list the locations of all the Walmarts and highlights the ones that are close to the interstates. I started planning my trips around the Walmart locations and started keeping track of the good ones and here they are,

Bristol,VA Walmart exit 7 on I-81
    I made $100-$200 an hour with my dog, animal friendly community. all bums I talked to made good money. There is a dispute among the cops on weather or not Walmart parking lot is in city limits, but that won't stop the asshole ones from ticketing you for it or could have been that officer's excuse not to do any paperwork. Once you get a ticket there (and it won't take to long) they have a way of arresting you for a citable offense if you have already been given a citation for the same offense. I got a ticket there after a $1000 weekend so I came back for court so I could make another $1000 and did but since I never payed the $100 fine that was cut to $50 cause I showed up I now have a warrant there.

Wytheville,VA Walmart exit 70 on I-81
    good spot $50-$100 an hour with my dog, cops harassed me once but just told me to leave. stay down the long driveway near Wendy's or Walmart and keep looking around and you should be able to spot the cops before they spot you and just put the sign down when they pass and act like I was walking my dog in the mulch.

Stauton,VA Walmart exit 222 on I-81
    Another dog friendly town Walmart and Lowes are up on a hill and of the road so you can see the cops coming. this spot was a constant $100 an hour with my dog and tons of food kick downs too.

Harrisonburg,VA Walmart exit 247 on I-81
    I LOVE THIS PLACE! $100-$200 an hour without the dog, the little curb area where I stood was to close to the road for me to comfortably have my dog there so I left her at the hotel down the street and worked without her. There was a traveling couple with a puppy cutting me off down at a bench inside the shopping complex and it was all good cause we both made over $100 an hour while we are cutting each other off the whole time is that not awesome or what? The landscape crew foreman will kick you off if he sees you so keep an eye out for trucks with a small amber siren mounted on the roof. The cops there are nice and the people are wonderful, I totally tramped out this spot over a 3 month time that the police chief himself had to give the orders to give me a ticket to get me to leave.

Front Royal,VA Walmart exit 6 on I-66
    another great spot where I made over $100 an hour with a dog, this place is a new and wealthy community. the only police I seen out there were the sheriff's dept.

Fairfax,VA Walmart exit 55 on I-66
    One good strategy to panhandling is to target people who can actually have spare change and that's why I like to panhandle in wealthy neighborhoods. Over half the cars that will go past you here are either BMW, Mercedes Benz, or Jaguar with a couple $100,000 Porche's too. with a dog I've made up to $500 in one hour here but the average was $150-$300

anyways hopes this helps someone out there and more states to come I'm getting tired of typing.

• Like Like x 5
  6. barefootinbabylon

barefootinbabylon Hungry for Knowledge

money is lame. trying 2 liber8 self.
    Current Location:
    desolatioN roW...
    Ratings:
    +84 / -0
    Hellll yeahhh! I'm going to VA!! :) I met a guy once who is pretty much a professional fly-signer/hobo (got a felony charge or something, and so, like you, he figured out that he could make just as much, if not more, traveling around and flyin' signs), and he said VA was amazing, as well. I think it was Fairfax, but I'm not sure... Either way, that's some crazy, scientific research you've done, there... Good on ya.

7. wehavethemap

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    cool thanks:oops:

8. Hobo Huck

Vagabond
    Current Location:
    Cali
    Ratings:
    +79 / -4
    I actually want that map from wal mart that lists on the wal marts, I've never thought about that. I personally like slow moving exits at around 4-6pm for a quick 100$, but nothing beats a good wal mart on a Saturday, especially first week of the month.

9. Pheonix

Pheonix I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    you should experiment with different shifts in the day. I always have better luck during the morning and lunch rush at the Walmarts, but lunch or dinner rushes on the freeway ramps.

Butte,MT truck stop exit 122 on I-90-I-15
    I've always had wonderful results at this truck stop both with and without a dog. This is my favorite truck stop in MT. I've had some females not make shit on the other side and girls almost always make more then men. I always hit the south side of the interstate. I try to hit this stop every time I'm in MT so far I've banked 4 out of 4 times.

10. Hobo Huck

Vagabond
    Current Location:
    Cali
    Ratings:
    +79 / -4
    Yeah my favorite time to hit a wal mart is between 10am and 3pm on a weekend...it's such a goldmine that Im actually disappointed if I haven't scored a couple 20 dollar bills along with all the 1's and 5's. Yu can never get tired of those 20's. Hey, not to mention around Christmas...nothing beats a nice Benjamin

11. Pheonix

Pheonix I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    the ARKANSAS update

Alma,AR Walmart exit 13 on I-40
    been here twice, made bank both times. the cops drive past me but just kept going and don't bother me, but the managers will eventually kick you off of walmart property. At $50-$100 an hour with dog I was willing to stay there until I got ran off, I never tried the ramps. The big strategy about Walmart sign flying is to notice where the staff park cause they will be going to their cars during break and you don't want them to see you. However sometime you can't prevent being seen by staff members on break (witch is so at this location) so you have to hope the staff doesn't report you to the manager. Most staff don't care enough to tell as long as you are not being stupid, however keep in mind the managers go on break during the lunch rush and they will usually kick you off. At this location I've had some of the staff kick me down pizza during their break.

Russellville,AR my favorite town in AR
    Walmart was a little confusing to find but I was making $200 an hour with dog but they will kick you off if they see you. My favorite spot in this town is off of exit 84 on I-40 turn south and park in the first gas station on your left, on the other side of the street is a street that has no sidewalk just a dirt path and I stay near a tree there a hit the traffic coming down that street. Use the tree here as a source of shade and the cops won't harass you here unless someone calls and no one ever calls, at least not on me or my dog. This spot was a constant $100+ an hour that I worked for a month and fucked it up by trying a spot more in town and got a ticket for panhandling.

Conway,AR Walmart exit 125 on I-40
    This is an awesome spot, I was had a spot where I can see all traffic in the parking lot so I can spot the cops coming. I blow-up this spot with a constant $100+ an hour with dog and a Motel 6 next to the parking lot. This Motel 6 is a great base for a professional bum in AR if your in a group you can switch out panhandlers all day long here and keep a constant cash flow coming in especially if the group also utilizes the other spot 41 miles down the freeway. I also had some pretty good luck at the freeway off ramp further away from the hotel.

Fayetteville,AR Walmart exit 64 on I-540
    Awesome Fucking Awesome $250+ an hour with dog, the traffic actually formed an extra line just to give me money. The resulting traffic jam thou was probably the reason why the cops were called after an hour of traffic nightmare. The cops wanted to shot my dog but my dog wanted to bite him too, and so did I for making me leave such an awesome spot. came back once again on a saturday and banked again. your less likely to be harassed by cops or managers on saturdays.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hobo Huck

Vagabond
    Current Location:
    Cali
    Ratings:
    +79 / -4
    Hah...the guy who taught me to fly signs always talked about how good Arkansas was, especially Fayetteville. I've never traveled through Arkansas

13. Pheonix

Pheonix I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    yes the best time of the year for panhandling is between thanksgiving and christmas, some times I wonder if people are giving me more money then they're giving to the Salvation Army bell ringer in front of the same store I'm working.

14. acer910

acer910 is getting to know the place

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    not in fucking memphis^
    1.50 in 2 hours on thanksgiving day with plenty of traffic coming off the interstate.

15. Pheonix

Pheonix I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    the burbs are almost always better then the city for panhandling

near memphis
    Bartlett,TN Walmart exit 18 on I-40
    stay down near the street so the security doing patrol in the parking lot doesn't kick you out. the cops have always drove past me here.

wait you were spare change on thanksgiving day... flying signs the day of thanksgiving and christmas can actually be crappy from time to time and the best advice I can give you in that situation, is to change locations go to a different ramp or a different store. All my crappy holiday panhandling happened on ramps never at stores. So now I stick to the stores on the holidays.

16. AnthraxMatt

AnthraxMatt Hungry for Knowledge

Current Location:
    kansas city
    Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    i agree that people are ridiculous about hiding their precious spange spots, also agree that some times they're good sometimes not.

perfect example is- i was in cape girardeau, mo at the walmart, i was there for a week in february and made about $500. got drunk and went to a couple of small venues while i was there. went back out there around july and got run off by cops several times, its hit or miss. i like that place though, really nice people- got housed up by this dead head, smoked a lot of weed and dropped acid with him there.

same for mill ave in tempe, az. playing guitar at the end of the college school year is great, beginning of the school year sucks. theres a flying j west of flagstaff, az that i made decent money at.

same thing with new orleans and slidell, la, lawrence, ks, santa clarita and bakersfield, ca. sometimes theres really good money, sometimes not.

17. acer910

acer910 is getting to know the place

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    i know, i usually hitch/walk out to olive branch MI if im in memphis and need to make money. exit 3 or 4 has a flying J and right near there is a great intersection with a big median. made like 140 there in a few hours. right by good food and liquor store too.
    i try not to ever ever ever leave midtown memphis, downtown and all the other suburbs fucking suck.
    had a friend walk over to the walmart in west memphis ar, said he made good money but youve got a long walk over a bridge your not allowed to walk on.

i think i was flying some bullshit about tryin to get back home for xmas, idk i cant remember.

18. Pheonix

Pheonix I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    you say "don't post spange spots or they will get blown up"
    and I retort "that might be a good thing"
    "if only there was a way it can be traced back to me so the cops and city council know I'm the reason for the bum infestation."
    you say "well what about the true panhandlers that need this money and are already hitting the spot?"
    thinking about that for a minute "I'll be adding competition to the crackhead that was trying to move in on my spot all holiday season long, I don't see nothing wrong with that even if said competition are oogles."

with that being said here are my Columbus,OH recommendations

Grove City,OH Walmart at the end of one of the bus routes.
    good place to fly a sign cops won't mess with you unless their called. when you get there you will notice the parking lot is split in half by a driveway that runs through it, Walmart only owns one side of the parking lot so if you stay on the other side of the driveway then they won't kick you off. the one time the cops were called on me was probably cause there was a charity soliciting traffic down the street and someone probably thought I was cutting off the charity panhandlers witch I totally was.

Polaris Parkway exit 121 on I-71 at the end of an express bus route in early morning or evening, end of Cleavland Ave standard bus route is only a mile down the road and runs all day.
    I think this is the best panhandling spot in Columbus now that my old spot fell to shit. there's 3 spots in polaris that I hit up, first is the ramp it's a good busy ramp. I also have good luck on Orion Pl next to Polaris Pkwy, you should be getting traffic coming from McDonald's and down the road is University of Phoenix so this spot gets very busy and profitable. The 3rd location is the Kroger's down Polaris Pkwy, this is usually my clean-up location if I didn't make enough at the other locations.

Highway 315 and Lane Ave
    traffic turning one way is OSU students and traffic turning the other way is Upper Arlington (wealthy neighborhood) this is one of the best spots currently on campus for flying a sign.

Hwy 315 and Ackerman Rd
    If I ever blow-up a spot to the point of no return it's this one. I payed rent for a year and a half with this spot. it's only really good in the mornings when people are going to work and a majority of the generous people here work at the OSU medical administration building.

19. wehavethemap

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    i was hoping it wouldnt go this far, now my crack addiction is going to need funding from elsewhere

20. shitbagdanny

shitbagdanny Appreciated Participator

Current Location:
    north america
    Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    theres a whole continent, and i got my spots.

maybe there should be a sogn flyin easter egg hunt, put up the town and see who finds the spot hah

i got one for yalll, houston, tx.